Job Opportunity - Data Scientist
Are you interested in a Data Scientist position working on multi-dimensional, complex analytic initiatives? There are potential opportunities across all lines of business: insurance, retirement, wealth management and investments; with global geographies: US, Canada, Asia and centralized functions such as Workforce, Finance, Compliance and Branding.
The Data Scientist is accountable for the development and implementation of advanced analytic models to improve business process, and to generate insight in order to support the strategy & goals of the business unit, division or Group Functions. This position will provide analytics thought leadership, coaching to the Data Scientists & Analysts and support the development of the capabilities of the team. Additional responsibilities include the development of documentation & measurement framework.
1. Develop & implement models to support Division, Business Unit or Group Functions strategy and business pillar initiatives
- Develop advanced analytics models in order to maximize ROI, revenue and overall profitability.
- Perform needs analysis with business area (understand business problem & generate hypotheses)
- Explore, generate & source data relevant to the hypothesis(internal, external, 3rd party)
- Create, assess, evaluate & Iteratively improve models
- Calculate model impact/ROI
- Peer review other Data scientists work
- Leverage sound judgment, balancing analysis effort vs incremental improvement
2. Measure & communicate analytic results & impact of analytics models
- Implement measurement & documentation framework against all project work
- Generate insights in such a way that the businesses can clearly understand the quantifiable value. Enable the business to make clear trade-offs between and among choices, with a reasonable view into the most likely outcomes of each.
- Turn statistical and computational analysis into user-friendly graphs, charts, and animation. Enable those who aren’t professional data analysts to effectively interpret data. Ability to communicate results and educate others through reports and presentations
3. Provide thought leadership around analytics methodology, tools, and measurement
- Leverage extensive theoretical and practical knowledge of advanced analytic methods and algorithms, understanding their utility in different problem domains (sparse data, rare event detection, etc), evaluation methodologies and pitfalls, and stays on top of industry & academic developments.
- Innovate & find creative ways to source & leverage data to support modeling efforts, leveraging structured & unstructured data, and big data technologies.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop tools and services such as modeling, dashboard development, decision aids and business case analysis to drive innovation, strategic initiatives and recommend solutions.
4. Coach & provide guidance to Data Scientists & Data Analysts
Leverage depth of experience in business, technical & analytical problem solving to support & coach other team members
- Post grad in Statistics, Math, Comp Sci, Engineering or other related discipline (PhD preferred)
- Minimum of 10 years' experience specifically in statistical/data analysis and data mining, predictive modeling, cluster analysis, optimization
- Advanced Experience in Python, R, SAS, SQL, Java, , VBA
- Track of record of delivering innovative analytical insights to lines of businesses
- Strong commitment to organizational success and team work
- Adaptable and open to change with strong collaboration and elaboration skills
- Demonstrated data transformation & manipulation experience
- Strong Knowledge of strategic marketing, data, audience targeting, segmentation, and customer analysis. Familiarity of vendors that operate in this space
- Insurance or Financial Services industry experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience exhibiting innovation and leadership in proposing new strategies and/or tactics based on analysis findings
- Experience with Big Data platforms desired
- Experience with analysis of unstructured data desired
- Innovative mindset
- Strong Communication and consulting skills
- Strong collaboration and elaboration skills
About John Hancock Financial and Manulife
John Hancock Financial is a division of Manulife, a leading Canada-based financial services group with principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States. Operating as Manulife in Canada and Asia, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States, our group of companies offers clients a diverse range of financial protection products and wealth management services through its extensive network of employees, agents and distribution partners. Assets under management and administration by Manulife and its subsidiaries were $966 billion (US $736 billion) as at September 30, 2016. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as 'MFC' on the TSX, NYSE and PSE, and under '945' on the SEHK. Manulife can be found on the Internet at manulife.com.
The John Hancock unit, through its insurance companies, comprises one of the largest life insurers in the United States. John Hancock offers and administers a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments, 401(k) plans, long-term care insurance, college savings, and other forms of business insurance.
Agency submissions and contacts are by invitation only and must be initiated by John Hancock's Recruiting Department only. Unsolicited agency submissions will not be honored.
JOHN HANCOCK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - AA/F/M/D/V
Non Functional Job Group