- Manage and develop a team of 15-20 actuarial associates of various experience and skill levels.
- Set clear objectives and actively manage performance relative to business expectations.
- Establish an environment of openness and trust and foster a high level of engagement.
- Ensure that associates are provided with assignments which help to address development goals.
- Provide sound guidance to help associates solve problems encountered in actuarial tasks.
- Act as a point of contact with multiple internal business clients, addressing issues that arise and maintaining positive client relationships.
- Leverage GGY Axis modelling expertise to enhance capabilities of the team and influence Manulife liability modelling practices.
- Support the development and implementation of programs to benefit the Actuarial Services Division and MBPS as a whole.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Actuarial Science, or Statistics.
- At least six (6) years of experience in actuarial roles of increasing responsibility would be preferred.
- Require at least ASA, or equivalent designation from another actuarial association; FSA would be preferred.
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Advanced knowledge of actuarial mathematics; familiarity with a variety of insurance products (e.g., life, annuities, disability/LTC, etc.) and reserving methods (IFRS, NAIC).
- Advanced ability with GGY AXIS and strong knowledge of modelling principles.
- Broad understanding of the actuarial function at Manulife.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely both orally and in writing, to present to large groups within and outside the department, and to effectively tailor communication to the target audience.
- Must be resilient and display sound judgment to manage priorities of various stakeholders and make appropriate decisions on behalf of the team.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to manage conflicts and influence the behavior of others.
- Collaborative with a commitment to strong customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure.
- Strong people management skills
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. At the end of 2016, we had $977 billion (US$728 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.