Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Manulife Financial’ s Institutional business unit is a leading provider of retirement savings plans, employee benefit programs, and insurance solutions for Canadian groups including businesses; professional, alumni and retiree associations; financial institutions; retailers and other organizations. An industry leader in electronic service and transactions, the Institutional business unit provides a broad range of coverage including health and dental care, travel insurance, registered retirement savings and pensions, short- and long-term disability coverage, employee share ownership programs, flexible benefits plans, absence management solutions, defined contribution plans, deferred profit sharing, life and critical illness insurance, accidental death and dismemberment coverage plus wellness solutions.
Institutional IT (IIT) is the IS organization supporting Manulife’s Institutional business. Through the efforts of a consistently high performing team, concepts are transformed into plans and realities every day. We are looking for experienced, enthusiastic professionals to join our team.
IIT is looking for a Senior Developer within the Institutional Technology team. This team is responsible for implementing new technical solutions / applications and major changes to our existing systems. The team works in a matrix environment.
Your responsibilities will include application development and leadership for projects and; ensuring deliverables are produced on time, within estimates and quality targets, communicating with business and systems personnel to effectively understand business requirements and to develop solutions.
To be successful in this role, you must possess strong communications and influencing skills, have a Developer background in Client / Server or Web based applications and have demonstrated success delivering enhancements for complex N-tier applications. Your success in this role will hinge on your technical skills and your ability to leverage a natural and successful aptitude for leadership and coordination of technical resources. This position provides an environment for continued development of technical subject matter expertise and IS leadership management development.
- Develop and modify application components across disparate platforms and technologies
- Develop high level design documents
- Coordinate and lead technical tasks delivered by in-house and offshore developers
- Communicate with Business Systems Analysts to define system requirements and develop solutions.
- Use tools and methods such as proof-of-concept to assess alternate solutions to help ensure the team proceeds with the right solutions
- Ensure comprehensive and appropriate documentation at all stages, within an assignment
- Conduct development life cycle reviews as required, driving IIT best practices (e.g. design, documentation, quality)
- Support test phases executed by Business Systems Analysts, systems testers and business partners
- Apply technical and business knowledge to identify, analyze and solve problems
- Develop, review and validate team schedules and estimates
- Provide guidance to all members of the Developer team, including onshore and offshore vendor partners regarding all aspects of Developer work in Institutional IS
- Integrate vendor solutions and interfaces for medium to highly complex situations
- Collaborate with geographically and culturally diverse cross-functional teams
- Provide technical expertise and support where required
- Contribute to continuous improvements of departmental best practices
- Provide technical leadership and consulting support for large implementations
- Provide off hours systems support
- 7-10 years of experience in a development roles with medium to large business applications.
- Demonstrated experience with Java development
- Demonstrated experience with SQL and or Oracle database
- Demonstrated experience with PCF (Pivotal Cloud Foundry)
- Demonstrated experience with Spring Boot
- Demonstrated experience with .Net and Java Web Services
- Background in Object Oriented application development
- Knowledge of Jira, Jenkins, Concourse and GitLab
- Knowledge of Node JS and React, Angular 2, REST APIs
- Ability to coordinate multiple stakeholders to achieve solutions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate in a multi culture environment
- Capable of adapting quickly, managing multiple demands and completing priorities.
- Customer service focused
- Learn and adapt quickly
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong multi-tasking skills, receptive to change
- Strong leadership and influencing skills
- Works well under time constraints/pressure
- Attention to details and quality
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently, and with others
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. As of September 30, 2017, we had over $1 trillion (US$806 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $27.1 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.Category: