The Data Engineer is responsible for developing and implementing a strategic digital advice capability for collecting, storing, processing product & digital advice platform data to support and enable analytics, digital transformation and operational improvements. This involves researching, recommending and choosing optimal solutions to manage and implement modern data architecture as well as maintaining and monitoring the success of these solutions. The incumbent must have a passion for how data can be leveraged and used to drive deeper, meaningful insights that enhance the customer experience, grow our businesses, minimize risk and engage our employees globally.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The Data Engineer has primary responsibility for:
Modern Data Architecture: Setting the strategic rollout, selection and delivery of proven as well as emerging tooling to ensure that data pipelines are scalable, repeatable and secure serving multiple users within the organization. The incumbent is responsible for implementing highly complex, multi-faceted data initiatives associated the following functions areas:
Translate complex functional and technical requirements into detailed design and high performing capabilities;
Lead the design and build of data patterns and services - both batch, real-time and complex event handing - leveraging open technologies;
Ensure the timely delivery to meet project timeline by automating development and deployment tasks;
Effectively manage operational risk and change with a continuous focus on process improvements.
Governance and Controls: Responsible for defining and ensuring all data management processes conform to standard operating procedures and aligns with how a modern data architecture aligns to enterprise technology standards and policies; contribute and provide guidance around data quality, metadata management, data stewardship and security, and access controls.
Innovation and Continuous Improvement:
Evaluate/conduct PoC of new data technologies and capabilities that are value-driven; work closely with Manulife’s innovation teams, remain current with industry advancements working closely external vendors;
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in big data/data management including a university degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent program;
- Extensive expertise in data technologies and the use of data to support software development, advanced analytics and reporting. Particular focus on Cloud (Azure) and Hadoop-based technologies and programming or scripting languages like Java, Scala, Linux, C++, PHP, Ruby, Python, R and SAS. Also expert knowledge should be present regarding different (NoSQL or RDBMS) databases such as Hawq/HDB, MongoDB, Cassandra or Hbase;
- Working experience with modern data streaming process with Kafka, Apache Spark, Flink and data ingestion framework NiFi, Hive, Pig, etc.
- Experience with security/data protection solutions, Kerberos, Active Directory, HDFS Access Control, OAuth2, OpenID, LDAP
- Experience with network layer security design in VPN, firewall, Loadbalancer
- Experience and capability in translating non-technical user requests into complex technical specifications and solutions that meet these requirements;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with ability to multi-task. Ability to work with minimal or no supervision while performing duties; has the ability and initiative to organize various functions necessary to accomplish department activities or goalsand be a strong team player.
- The ability to influence other using facts and analysis in order to gain cooperation among products in the digital advice landscape.
About John Hancock Financial and Manulife
John Hancock is a division of Manulife, a leading Canada-based financial services group with principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States. Operating as Manulife in Canada and Asia, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States, our group of companies offers clients a diverse range of financial protection products and wealth management services through its extensive network of employees, agents and distribution partners. Assets under management and administration by Manulife and its subsidiaries were $1 trillion (US $754 billion) as at March 31, 2017. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as 'MFC' on the TSX, NYSE and PSE, and under '945' on the SEHK. Manulife can be found on the Internet at manulife.com.
The John Hancock unit, through its insurance companies, comprises one of the largest life insurers in the United States. John Hancock offers and administers a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments, 401(k) plans, long-term care insurance, college savings, and other forms of business insurance. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com.
JOHN HANCOCK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - AA/F/M/D/V