- Manages the timely delivery of comprehensive and professional work products to satisfy the actuarial modelling requests of actuarial business partners.
- Produces reserve movement analyses (RMAs), reserve trend analysis (RTA), experience monitoring reports and other supporting financial reporting deliverables related to the team’s assigned valuation models.
- Serves as model/data/reporting steward for Asia division
- Oversees the development and review of Off-Cycle and Annual Basis Changes.
- Serves as a company leader in the implementation, execution, and maintenance of valuation controls.
- Builds relationships and establishes a high level of credibility with Actuarial management across the Asia Division particularly Business Unit Valuation Actuaries, their teams, Asia Chief Actuary and RAS.
- Maintains the high standards and spirit of the VSSC Service Level Agreement in interactions with Business unit and Actuarial/Finance clients and in the leadership of the team.
- Uses appropriate judgment in dealing with unexpected issues and requests, demonstrates an ability to prioritize work, balances resource requirements and achieves win-win solutions.
- Demonstrates an understanding and working knowledge regarding technical aspects of the work possessing sufficient knowledge and intuition to be able to independently verify and reconcile information under review.
- Serves as a project manager for VSSC projects, including defining project scope, project planning, resource allocation, project execution, communication of project result
- Providing trainings to junior staff on actuarial concepts, modelling principles, financial reporting processes and technology.
- Prepare the team to support more business units in the future.
- Plays a key role as part of the VSSC leadership team in the achievement of VSSC projects, the goals of process improvement and best practices in valuation reporting.
- Provides strong, proactive leadership and coaching to a team of analyst professionals. Allocates and monitors work of the team to ensure accurate and timely completion of assignments within the established timeframes and quality standards.
- Makes decisions regarding employment, compensation, performance appraisals, training and development.
- Cultivates an innovative environment by supporting creativity and high performance teamwork.
- Fellowship in a recognized international actuarial professional body with 7+ years of experience
- Post-secondary education in Math/Computer Science, Actuarial Science or equivalent.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge regarding technical aspects of work; able to review data or results (financial or otherwise) for reasonability and identify root causes and drivers in the data being reviewed.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently, particularly in the area of using sound, independent judgment, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Remains calm and controlled in pressured and stressful situations; demonstrates confidence and persistence in the face of setbacks and obstacles.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate, negotiate and influence effectively
- Results oriented, able to manage expectations, work under tight deadlines and manage competing priorities.
- Excellent customer focus and commitment to quality
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Demonstrated leadership talents in coaching and motivating staff to achieve objectives.
- Strong business acumen with ability to communicate complex actuarial concepts and results in a clear, concise, easy to understand manner.
- Highly developed communication & relationship skills
- Able to communicate in Japanese would be an asset
- Proficiency in GGY Axis
- Flexibility for business travel