An Advanced Analytics Career at Manulife/JohnHancock
“Data is the new oil and analytics is the new combustion engine”
At Manulife/Johnhancok, our Advanced Analytics teams work on the most meaningful of projects. Globally, we have over 60 talented people working focused on data science and data engineering in Canada, US and Asia. The Advanced Analytics Development Program (AADP) provides the opportunity to be a member of a cross-functional team that includes experts in predictive modelling and machine learning.
Advanced Analytics Development Program (AADP)
The program is a 24 month program with 2-3 placements/rotations in data scientist roles with our Advanced Analytics teams. Each rotation can range from 8 to 12 months in duration and will provide graduates with exposure to multi-dimensional, complex analytic initiatives across all lines of business: insurance, retirement, wealth management and investments. The placement and its duration depend upon a number of factors including the participant's development needs and the needs of the business.
The program allows you the opportunity to make an impact in a global organization by working on diverse teams and projects and gaining exposure to international business. First placements are located in one of Manulife's Divisional headquarters; Toronto, Waterloo, Boston or Hong Kong. Subsequent placements could be at any one of our operations in Canada, US or Asia based on development needs of the participant and placement opportunities available.
How does Manulife differentiate as the employer of choice to build a career in Advanced Analytics?
3 ways – Value, Challenge and Continuous Development
At Manulife, Advanced Analytics is a change agent. We are a business partner that helps with transforming the company using analytics to drive insight, action and value in everything Manulife does. The teams work closely with business leaders, build business cases and quantify the business value of the opportunity to the organization. The successful candidate will work with the team and the business unit to:
- Convert the business opportunity into an analytical problem
- Measure the size of the opportunity
- Determine key performance measures (KPIs) to track success.
- Use a variety of statistical and machine learning techniques to solve the problem.
- Demonstrate shared value through the operationalization of algorithms into a business process.
Challenging opportunities exist for the data scientist and data engineer. In these roles the successful candidate will gain exposure utilizing software such as R, Python or SAS.
The data scientist is expected to either have or develop expertise in techniques such as:
- Classification and Regressions (Linear, Logit, Multinomial Logit, Poisson, Proportional Odds, Lasso, Ridge),
- Decision Trees,
- Clustering (Traditional, Bagged, Hierarchical)
- Random Forest,
- GBM, SVD, SVM,
- Neural networks,
- Text Mining (TF-IDF, Latent Dirichlet and Similarity models),
- Optimizations (Linear and Non-linear),
- Simulations (MCMC) etc.
The scientist will apply these methods to solve business problems ranging from Marketing, Finance, Operations, Risk or Strategy domains across all of the organization’s geographies and divisions.
The Data Engineer will gain valuable experience with a number of data technologies that support software development, advance analytics and reporting including:
- Cloud (Azure)
- Hadoop (Hortonworks, Pivitol)
- Statistical Packages (Matlab,)
- Databases: HAWQ, HDB, MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase
- Reporting and Data Visualization tools (Qlik, Tableau, Oracle etc)
- Scripting Languages: Java, C++, PHP, Ruby
The engineer provides leadership and consultative support to data activities across the organization and is key to ensuring that the data environment supports value-add activities in analytics, decision making and direct customer facing activities.
3. Continuous Development
Manulife is committed to Learning and Development. The candidate will be hired into the Advanced Analytics Development Program and introduced to a seasoned and eminent analytic leader in the organization who will act as a mentor. Manulife’s analytic leaders have backgrounds ranging from Management Consulting, P&C, Life, Investments, Retirements and who have solved Business Problems for the likes of Walmart, Caterpillar, Lowes, AT&T, Farmers, Capital One, Google, HSBC to name a few.
Program participants will have access to and can expect to participate in:
- Kaggle-style data science competitions
- Team and networking events
- Monthly Global Best Practice meetings
- Conferences/Training courses
- Presentations to Executives
Is AADP the Right Program for You?
The Advanced Analytics Development Program may be a good fit if you possess the following qualifications:
- MS / PhD in Math or Stats / Business / Computer Science
- Experience with machine learning / predictive modelling
- Experience with R, Python or SAS
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively influence
- Desire to be part of a growing advanced analytics function
- Passionate about developing a career in data science
- Strong academic performance
- Will graduate in 2017/2018
Non Functional Job Group