What you will be accountable for:
The primary responsibility of the incumbent is to work in conjunction with teams across Manulife to provide analysis and accounting support:
- Develop an understanding of related accounting, reconciling and analyzing balance sheet and income statement accounts while managing within Corporate standards
- Update accounting models, procedures and documentation maintaining a focus on workflow process improvements as required
- Provide support and manage aspects of accounting while understanding reporting timelines
- Prepare monthly reports including accounting analysis related to job functions
- Meet with leaders to review submissions and highlight possible risks and opportunities while taking initiative to escalate issues impacting accounting
The skills and qualifications you will need to be successful:
- Pursuing a business or accounting university/college degree
- General business knowledge with an interest/aptitude in accounting
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Access
- Knowledge of Visual Basic is required for some roles
- Strong mathematical, analytical and problem solving skills
- Flexibility to work as a team member and independently
- Attention to accuracy and detail is critical
- Ability to prioritize and work effectively in a deadline oriented environment
- Ability to exercise judgment and flexibility
- Aptitude to identify and make recommendations to streamline existing processes
- Support the development & implementation of new processes
- Well-developed interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Responds to challenges and opportunities in a positive and productive manner
The student experience we have to offer:
- Build a network of fellow students on coop/internship assignments
- Given the opportunity to volunteer and give back to the community
- Attend events on a monthly basis with guest speakers from various departments within our organization to further develop your skills as a professional.
- Learn about our culture and core values.
Please apply to Manulife online by including your resume, transcript, co-op work history (if applicable), and a cover letter in one PDF file
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. As of June 30, 2017, we had over $1 trillion (US$780 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $26.7 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.