About RED Lab
The Research Exploration and Development/Design (RED) Lab is the innovation outpost for Manulife Canada. We’re a small and lean team of coders, designers, and geeks who love tackling business challenges using modern technologies while keeping our end-customers at the center of everything we do. We care deeply about the end user experience and subscribe to the idea of rapidly testing and iterating on solutions.
We’ve worked on a variety of technologies including web, iOS, hybrid apps, voice interfaces, and wearables – if it’s something that has a compelling potential to provide value to our business and customers, we’ll give it a serious consideration.
We typically work in rapid sprints closely with our business stakeholders who represent departments ranging from insurance to banking and everything in between. If getting experience across a variety of challenges, business and technical, is your cup of tea, then this is the café of choice.
RED Lab is located in the Communitech Hub in Kitchener/Waterloo and is the origin of renowned companies like Pebble Watch, Thalmic Labs, Plasticity and more. This is where all cool things related to startups and innovation in the region happen. And that’s where we want to play, too.
About the Role
If you were to sit in a time machine and travel a term into the future, you should be able to look back at your time here as a Solutions Prototype Developer co-op and be able to claim the following:
- I played with some of the coolest technologies on the market (e.g. Amazon Alexa or Apple’s Swift programming language)
- I worked on fun projects that solved meaningful problems to help make financial services better (e.g. built an Apple Watch app that tracks health information for insurance purposes)
- I built a handful of prototypes that I pitched and demoed to my peers and senior business stakeholders
- I worked with a rad team that challenges each other to keep questioning the status quo and push the boundaries in a lean and collaborative environment
- I had a lot of free food (no joke - Communitech has a bunch of networking events where free food and drinks are provided)
What are you like
If you’ve read this far, you’re a pretty cool cat. But to help you a little more, here are some things we’d like to see in you, considering we’re going to be sharing a space with you for almost a quarter of a year:
- you thrive in an entrepreneurial environment where you don’t always have the answers to the challenges you’re tackling, but are eager to discover them. You accept the fact that you might fail a few times, but you persist.
- you GET rapid prototyping. We’re all people with ideas and we love ideating together, but we’re partial to action. We operate in 2 week sprints in which we see our ideas go to demo-able state. You have to be comfortable with learning-while-doing as there will be plenty of that.
- you care about customer experiences. You don’t have to be a UX guru, but you should appreciate well designed customer experiences and strive to work towards them in your projects
- you tinker. Whether it’s in hackathons, side-projects or your own startups, tinkerers usually bring the level of curiosity and technical aptitude to succeed here. The more you can tell us about your personal initiatives, the more brownie points you get.
If any of the above struck a cord with you, then let's talk! Help us in making financial services better for everyone.
About Manulife/John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. As of June 30, 2017, we had over $1 trillion (US$780 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $26.7 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.