The Investment Compliance function ensures that all Investment Division businesses operate in compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations. The compliance department provides support in key areas of Policies, Advice, Training, Testing and Regulatory matters. In carrying out the Investment Compliance program, duties are wide-ranging from monitoring trading activity, preventing conflicts of interest, and preventing money laundering, to name a few.
The compliance program is important in maintaining and enhancing the firm's integrity and reputation. Support for the Compliance Program is aligned with the Company’s business strategies in the most effective and efficient manner. The compliance organization provides dedicated support for front office operations, while providing business units across all regions with advice and support from global Centers of Expertise.
The structure encourages collaboration among the various compliance groups, and promotes consistent compliance standards and approaches across our global investment platforms.
This position is in the Investment Division’s Code of Ethics Center of Expertise and is responsible for the Code of Ethics, Electronic Communication Surveillance and Information Barrier Programs. The position supports the Employee Trade Monitoring program, Gifts and Entertainment, Conflicts of Interest, Code of Ethics Hotline, Electronic Communication Surveillance, Outside Business Affiliations and related systems and platforms.
This position will provide an opportunity to understand how compliance programs are managed in asset management firms and will specifically provide the incumbent with:
- Knowledge of the financial industry regulatory environment
- An understanding of the conflicts of interest that exist when managing investments on behalf of client money and how the conflicts are mitigated and managed
- Exposure to handling of material non-public information and the use of information barriers
- An understanding of how an oversight function performs testing routines to validate adherence and effectiveness of the control environment
- Exposure to managing multiple assignments with perhaps competing priorities
- The ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Systems application and software skills, including Microsoft Access and Excel, Bloomberg, PTCC.
- Strong negotiation skills
- Exposure to all levels of management including the Executive Management Team.
- Exposure to different countries and cultures and how cultural issues can affect an approach to solving business/compliance problems
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Monitor employee trading activities and test trades for compliance with Manulife’s personal trading policies.
- Review daily trade exception reports of employee violation of the policies.
- Prepare quarterly personal trading reconciliations for selected employees.
- Follow up with the employees as well as their managers on violations of the policies.
- Prepare written violation notices to employees as needed.
- Create and maintain procedures for Personal Trading Compliance processes.
- Review and Approve Pending Trades for employees
- Field questions from the employees including other offices in the region to clarify issues related to the outside affiliation policy and questions relating to the personal trading system (PTCC).
- Monitor APs gift and entertainment reporting and test for compliance with Manulife’s gift and entertainment policy.
- Assist in the identification, review, research and resolution of potential cases of policy violations and issues related to the Information Barrier
- Conduct periodic, transactional and forensic testing in support of the Investment Division Code of Ethics and Information Barrier Program
- Review electronic communications for certain Adviser personnel (including but not limited to Outlook email, Skype for Business, MFConnect, Yammer, Bloomberg Notes, Bloomberg IB and Bloomberg Chat)
- Effectively communicate potential compliance concerns found through monitoring of electronic communications to supervisor both verbally and in writing.
- Assist in the preparation of materials for quarterly compliance committee meetings including standard and ad hoc reports on relevant compliance and other related matters