Software Engineer – Global Solutions Delivery (Co-op)
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Does change and challenge excite you? Do you want to be part of the team that redefines how we get work done throughout the entire enterprise? We are changing the way we develop and we want you to be part of it! We are growing our Global Solutions Delivery Office, with the mandate to power world-class customer and employee experiences through software. The customer is at the focus of everything we do, and millions of end users rely on our products daily. We believe in the value of empowering engineers with the resources to solve critical problems for the future of the business, which is why we need you. We are seeking self-motivated engineers, who are obsessed with delivering value, are forward-thinking, and excited to see the successful implementation of the products they deliver.
You’ll do things like:
• Collaborate with product managers, lead engineers, other software engineers, and operations engineers to uncover pain points and opportunities to deliver new business value through software
• Prototype and build new functionality to deliver on key product objectives
• Design and deliver cloud-native services and data structures that enable an exceptional user experience
• Maintain and support these services, with accountability for production reliability and usage, and the delivery of new functionality
You will bring and continuously build upon the following skills:
• An entrepreneurial spirit and comfort working within a rapidly changing startup environment; you love the challenge of working on a small team and being part of a larger movement to change the engineering culture of an enterprise
• Familiarity with agile and DevOps principles, test-driven development, continuous integration, and other approaches to accelerate the delivery of new features
• Experimenting with emerging technologies and understanding how they will impact what comes next
• A capacity for constant learning from both success and failure, remaining open to change and continuous improvement
• Excellent organizational and problem-solving abilities that enable you to manage through creative abrasion
• Strong verbal and written communication with the ability to effectively articulate and communicate technical vision, possibilities, and outcomes across all levels in the organization
• Cloud Foundry and other components supporting a highly-automated global engineering platform
• Open source! As we accelerate our delivery of world-class experiences, we know embracing open source technologies will help us get there. Any experience with open source is very attractive to us!
• Want to learn more? Apply today, we are eager to speak with you!
Why come to Manulife?
Because we’re not who you think we are. We’re not some stuffy, old insurance company. We’re actually 1100 technology specialists dedicated to improving the health and wealth of Canadians – and doing it in some pretty cool ways. You might be surprised to know that Co-ops love Manulife – and come back term after term. Why? We’ve got what you’re looking for…jobs that embed you in passionate, productive teams, jobs that leave you with great stories to tell at your next set of interviews, jobs that make a Co-op term a fun, profitable break from school. Every term we hire 100+ students – so you’ll have plenty of new friends to chill with. And you can meet your new friends at tons of Co-op events like our recent Execs-serve-ice-cream day, gingerbread house day, and pizza…there’s usually pizza involved.
You’ll also have lots of opportunities for professional growth. Linked In workshop? Yes! Personal branding workshop? Yes! Access to all our learning and development resources? You bet!
We want you here as a Co-op. And we want to make your experience with us SO AMAZING that you join us in a fulltime after you graduate. It’s really that simple.
About Manulife/John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. As of June 30, 2017, we had over $1 trillion (US$780 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $26.7 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
John Hancock is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.