Are you looking for opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and process implementation makes a difference in a flexible and supportive environment, we can work in cooperation for our internal customers achieve their goals.
As a Co-Op technical student within the Global Investment Division Technical Services Project Team, you contribute to defining and driving the implementation of process technology through ideation, discovery, planning & delivery of internal SharePoint online architecture solutions. You are computer systems student who brings knowledge and solutions design experience to bear as you develop GUI / system / SharePoint application architecture assets. You think strategically and enjoy developing road maps that contribute to the evolution of the enterprise application portfolio from current to future state (in alignment with Manulife Divisional and/or Global architecture standards). You enjoy staying current on technology trends and can successfully evaluate proposal concepts and implement reliable process tools to track and farm data.
You appreciate the value of communicating the system architecture and use your strong communication skills to verbalize and document all design solutions and analysis work. Your information solutions include checks and controls to ensure proper governance, security and quality of information assets. You are excited by new approaches in system architecture and balance it with stability / reliability and will leverage your hands-on and architectural to introduce solutions to the existing processes.
What Will You Be Doing?
Reporting to the Technical Services Director within the Investment Division portfolio in alignment with the Manulife IT protocol, you will:
- Work closely with team members & Key Business Partners to define the Technology Strategy in support of delivering on business metrics in the Investment and Development Division.
- Report on execution of agreed upon initiatives from the Technology Strategy
- Develop and document technical solution implemented
- Develop architecture and coordinate technology deliverables for SharePoint Online and backbone.
- Identify opportunities to enhance existing architecture, development processes, practices and standards
- Contribute to organizational development and the successful delivery of various systems development projects through collaboration with internal partners
- Support the utilization of SharePoint online Services functions to ensure the successfully delivery of projects and initiatives; contribute to a Service oriented team and culture
- Adhere to Global Information Risk Management policies and standards
We think you would be a great fit if you:
- Love being a ‘tactical’ strategist --- building and executing technology strategy!
- Have fantastic communication skills - you can talk tech with the techies and business with our internal partners. You use those communication skills to influence solutions and create clear, concise strategies and implement
- Are known to be an innovative problem solver
- Have a keen interest in understanding the business strategy and can gain credibility with your business partners
- Are a collaborative team player who can lead and/or support project development deliverables as required
- Are flexible and adaptable when dealing with change
- Can influence and negotiate effectively with a variety of stakeholders
- Maintain a balance of confidence and approachability
We need you to have a number of these:
- progressive experience in systems architecture and development within an Enterprise scale business applications IT environment.
- relevant Computer Science background or equivalent industry experience
- Technical environment includes a number of these: Java/Spring, JUNIT, C#/.Net, nodeJS, angular, XML, JSON, Biztalk, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Azure, Websphere, Concourse/Fly, Jenkins, SonarQube, Gitlab, TFS, Visual Studio, Eclipse, MS certification, SharePoint online
- Demonstrated experience navigating the complexities of systems integration across a variety of system platforms and vendors
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills with the ability to provide updates to all levels
- Superior organizational, time and project management skills and an excellent ability to recognize critical path deliverables and key dependencies in order to deliver within project timelines
- Experience performing evaluation on user requirements with consideration on cost benefit analysis
- Strong knowledge of Systems Development Lifecycle and programming to maximize architecture.
- Strong knowledge of IT security best practices
- Experience developing external and general design & architecture documentation
- Ability to work and lead effectively in dynamic, complex situations within a fast-paced, customer-focused environment
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and leadership skills. You can build relationships easily with a diverse group of internal and/or external vendor IT teams.
- Preferred: Experience working with / implementing Cloud infrastructure (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS)
Why come to Manulife/JohnHancock?
Because we’re not who you think we are. We’re not some stuffy, old insurance company. We’re actually technology specialists dedicated to improving the health and wealth of Americans – and doing it in some pretty cool ways. You might be surprised to know that Co-ops love John Hancock – and come back term after term. Why? We’ve got what you’re looking for… jobs that embed you in passionate, productive teams, jobs that leave you with great stories to tell at your next set of interviews, jobs that make a Co-op term a fun, profitable break from school. Every term we hire 100+ students – so you’ll have plenty of new friends to chill with. And you can meet your new friends at tons of Co-op events like our recent Execs-serve-ice-cream day, gingerbread house day, and pizza… there’s usually pizza involved.
You’ll also have lots of opportunities for professional growth. Networking with senior leadership? Yes! Access to all our learning and development resources? You bet!
We want you here as a Co-op. And we want to make your experience with us SO AMAZING that you join us in a fulltime role after you graduate. It’s really that simple.
About Manulife/John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. As of June 30, 2017, we had over $1 trillion (US$780 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $26.7 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife/John Hancock is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Please apply to Manulife/JohnHancock online by including your resume, transcript, co-op work history (if applicable), and a cover letter in one PDF file.