Competitive Strategy Associate Co-op (July-December 2018)- Boston, MA
John Hancock Retirement Plan Services is one of the leading 401(k) providers in the U.S. with over $135B asset under management serving small to large businesses with their corporate retirement needs. The Competitive Strategy team serves as the primary source of competitive intelligence for John Hancock's Retirement Plan Services Group. Competitive Strategy works closely with field personnel to help overcome competitive situations to both grow and retain the business. Additionally, the team works closely with Senior Management, Marketing, Product and other groups to conduct research and analyze the competition providing insights and strategic recommendations as needed. The team also serves as the go-to team for all benchmarking needs providing data on pricing, investments and overall platform attributes of the competition.
Competitive Strategy performs competitive analysis to support both the tactical needs of Retirement Plan Sales and Account Management as well as supports the strategic planning needs of Senior Management and the Product & Marketing group by providing competitive intelligence. Area of oversight includes, but is not limited to the following: 401(k) products, Investments, Distribution Strategies, Benchmarking, Product Development and Marketing.
What you will be accountable for:
The Competitive Strategy Associate is fully integrated with the rest of the team and is expected to fulfill the responsibilities as would a full-time analyst. Day-to-day tasks include conducting research on the competition, fulfilling requests for benchmark reports, analyzing competitor fee disclosure reports, proposals, and other competitor material , generate reports and provide analytical commentary as well as support the team's need for ongoing development of competitor reference materials, support the construction of the ongoing newsletter and many other Competitive Strategy deliverables. Other duties include:
• Support Competitive Strategy deliverables, including the Competitive Review Book, Product Rundowns, Pricing Studies and competitive analysis charts/matrices
• Assist the Competitive Strategy Analyst with support in the daily upkeep of the group’s competitive intelligence intranet site, Competitive Dashboard
• Work closely with the Competitive Strategy Analyst to complete internal projects, data integrity initiatives and ad hoc competitive research requests from the field and or home office key partners
• Gather and provide research on 401(k) competitors
• Support Investment Analysts with back-up support by completing Separate Account reports through the Investment Comparison Web tool
• Provide administrative support during earnings calls and other key industry teleconferences/investment manager onsite meetings by providing meeting minutes/summary of topics covered
• Manage the benchmarking functions of the Competitive Strategy Team and provide contextual commentary to Field
The skills and qualifications you will need to be successful:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
• Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office
• Adapt to changing priorities
What you will learn:
• Competitive intelligence
• Market research
• Business analysis
• Retirement and investment products
The student experience we have to offer:
• Build a network of fellow students on coop/internship assignments
• Given the opportunity to volunteer and give back to the community
• Attend events on a monthly basis with guest speakers from various departments within our organization to further develop your skills as a professional.
• Learn about our culture and core values.
Relevant Majors of Study: Business, Economics, Investments, Marketing
Why come to Manulife/JohnHancock?
Because we’re not who you think we are. We’re not some stuffy, old insurance company. We’re actually technology specialists dedicated to improving the health and wealth of Americans – and doing it in some pretty cool ways. You might be surprised to know that Co-ops/interns love John Hancock – and come back term after term. Why? We’ve got what you’re looking for… jobs that embed you in passionate, productive teams, jobs that leave you with great stories to tell at your next set of interviews, jobs that make a work term a fun, profitable break from school. Every term we hire 100+ students – so you’ll have plenty of new friends to chill with. And you can meet your new friends at tons of Co-op events like our recent Execs-serve-ice-cream day, gingerbread house day, and pizza… there’s usually pizza involved.
You’ll also have lots of opportunities for professional growth. Networking with senior leadership? Yes! Access to all our learning and development resources? You bet!
We want you here as a intern. And we want to make your experience with us SO AMAZING that you join us in a fulltime role after you graduate. It’s really that simple.
So what’s next?
Wow us with a PDF that includes your resume, a cover letter telling us how awesome you are, your transcript, and your work history (if you have one).
About Manulife/John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. As of June 30, 2017, we had over $1 trillion (US$780 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $26.7 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife/John Hancock is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.Qualifications