The Economic Research team is part of Manulife Asset Management’s Portfolio Strategy Group (PSG). The economists provide forecasts, commentary and analysis as inputs to investment decisions, both tactical and strategic. In addition, the team supports worldwide marketing efforts with TV, radio and press contacts, providing commentary on economic conditions to promote the company’s name recognition and reputation.
Manulife Asset Management is looking for a Research Assistant in its Economic Research team. The position calls for a basic understanding of economic concepts, especially macroeconomic indicators. Much of the work will involve retrieving data from Bloomberg and other external data sources, and analyzing it in Excel.
What you will be accountable for:
- Supporting the economics team creating and maintaining PowerPoint presentations, charts and spreadsheets
- Researching and writing “white papers” covering macroeconomic and geopolitical themes
- Other research projects will be determined as issues arise or requests are received from business units.
The skills and qualifications you will need to be successful:
- Basic understanding of macroeconomics
- Strong quantitative skills, including experience with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
What you will learn:
- How to interpret economic indicators as a tool for monitoring the outlook for the economy
- How economic data relates to the behavior of financial markets (i.e. which measures of economic activity are actually useful for investors)
- How to assemble and process economic statistics in ways that enable investment professionals to see quickly what message the data may be providing
The student experience we have to offer:
- Build a network of fellow students on coop/internship assignments.
- Given the opportunity to volunteer and give back to the community.
- Attend events on a monthly basis with guest speakers from various departments within our organization to further develop your skills as a professional.
- Learn about our culture and core values.
Minimum GPA Desired: 3.0
Relevant Majors of Study: Economics, International Relations, Political Science, Econometrics
About Manulife/John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. As of June 30, 2017, we had over $1 trillion (US$780 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $26.7 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
John Hancock is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.