About Manulife Manulife is a leading Canada-based financial services group with principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States. Clients look to Manulife for strong, reliable, trustworthy and forward-thinking solutions for their most significant financial decisions. Our international network of employees, agents and distribution partners offers financial protection and wealth management products and services to millions of clients. We also provide asset management services to institutional customers. Funds under management by Manulife and its subsidiaries were approximately C$ 888 billion (US$663 billion) as at September 30, 2015. Our group of companies operates as Manulife in Canada and Asia and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as 'MFC' on the TSX, NYSE and PSE, and under '945' on the SEHK. Manulife can be found on the Internet at manulife.com.
Reporting to the SVP & CIO, Canadian Division, this role is key in accelerating the transformation of Canadian Division Technology (CDT) by leading and developing a ‘niche’ technical team who provides deep technical focus on select core platforms and architecture capabilities.
Key accountabilities include:
• Partner closely with the BU Technology VPs to develop a robust technology architecture, product strategy and roadmap that can be leveraged across the businesses, while also building the necessary enablers to empower those areas into self-sufficiency where applicable.
• Build a leading edge technical team with technical subject matter expertise in ‘niche’ and ‘emerging’ technologies including:
o Salesforce platform – Sales, Service & Marketing Clouds
o Adobe Experience Manager (Digital Content Management & Microsites)
o Front-end User Experience builds on PCF (i.e. Customer Portal)
o Identity Management solutions
Note that this includes identifying and partnering with key strategic vendor partners as required while building internal technical bench strength.
• Develop reusable digital technology assets, and products that can be leveraged globally and across Canadian Division Technology to support the BU teams. This includes ownership for development, support, product roadmaps, and enablement of the BU Technology teams.
• Develop and lead the implementation of Proof of Technology (POT’s) and Talent Incubators to develop internal engineering talent (e.g., capability and mindset) and grow capabilities in ‘emerging/niche’ technology areas (e.g. React, Cloud Foundry, Intrapreneurship, Devops etc.). Will be closely aligned with Global Technology.
• Lead and support the Architecturte lead to build stronger architecture governance across Canadian Division Technology to enforce adherence to ‘go forward’ target architectures across CDT and Globally where applicable.
• Lead and support the Architecture Lead to define, lead and manage Application Portfolio Management (APM) strategy and roadmap across Canadian Division Technology.
• Provide subject matter expertise on emerging technology trends and disruptors and determines how they can be leveraged within Manulife to modernize our products and solutions.
One of the primary goal of this role will be to improve our “speed to market” in partnership with their leadership team – Core Engineering Leads and Architecture Lead - to support the BU Technology Teams to enable their respective BU strategies. This will require the implementation of accelerated delivery practices – agile methodologies, tools, processes, space – and the education of our businesses to support the new approaches. Collaboration will be required across all of Canadian Division Technology (e.g. BU and Shared Services teams) and with Global Technology.
• Develop and implement the core engineering technology strategy and roadmap
• Provide technical leadership to the CIO and other CDT leaders
• Lead the development and implementation of a proof of technology and talent incubator model within Core Engineering
• Leads and support the Architecture Team to:
• Financial Management:
• Stakeholder Management: Ensure effective Stakeholder Management to execute the technology strategic plans for core engineering
• Leadership & People Development: Ensure Effective People Leadership, Development & Engagement of the Core Engineering & Architecture Technology TeamQualifications
• Minimum of 10+ years of hands on technology leadership experience. Software engineering background a requirement with hands on development experience an asset.
• Must be an industry leader with 8+ years of software engineering experience with proven experience in developing and executing strategic and tactical plans.
• Demonstrated ability to build a leading-edge technical team that drives new-age thinking balanced with driving down costs and improved efficiencies.
• Direct knowledge and understanding of legacy and emerging architecture patterns, architecture governance and application portfolio management (APM) strategies.
• Direct exposure and experience in areas such as Agile delivery methodologies and processes, accelerated solution delivery, mobile and web technologies, Salesforce solutions, and analytics. This includes leading the build of these capabilities internally.
• Experience implementing DevOps and Agile principles.
• Strong knowledge of digital technologies. Knowledge in the following would be an asset: Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Adobe Experience Manager, Microsoft Azure, Salesforce, and other Cloud technologies / architectures.
• Strong knowledge of open source and experience working in a corporate environment where open source was leveraged as a plus.
• Solid experience in Application architecture, systems integration, and modern development models.
• Demonstrated success at senior cross-functional project delivery, involving multiple technical teams, stakeholders and business functions.
• Demonstrated success working in large, global, matrixed environment to drive results.
• Exceptional communications skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels (e.g., GM, EVP, to front-line developers) with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
• Confident presentation and facilitation skills and strong interpersonal and leadership skills to facilitate working with senior management at all levels.
• Strong analytical skills and ability to deliver actionable recommendations based on analysis. Ability to translate analyses, using mediums to drive comprehensible recommendations (e.g., dashboards, graphics, summaries, etc.).
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, management of information systems or equivalent.
• Bilingualism – an asset.
• This role supports the technology to enable key ‘Customer-Centric’ Canadian Division strategic priorities for new customer engagement solutions including Consumer & Customer Portal, Contact Centre Transformation on Salesforce, Mobile Apps for all our large BU's, Goals Based Investing, Retirement Redefined Platform for Consumer Solutions, etc..
• Candidate will very likely be an External hire with prior experience in Digital / Mobile solutions and Agile & DevOps delivery models.
• Candidate needs to be a "builder" that can attract talent with the Digital skills, develop them, and retain them.
• This is new emerging space for Manulife and as such the role will be challenged to understand the organization, legacy systems/applications, while recommending/implementing new technology to evolve our organization to become more customer centric. This role will require a balanced approach to transition the organization to this new emerging technology environment from our existing legacy environment and to move us from Waterfall to full Agile methodologies for delivery.
Working Condition: (If applicable, list the working condition in the terms of Travel Requirement, Physical Labor Requirement, Concentration Requirement and Visional Requirement)
• Some travel required
Please refer to CDN Division Technology – Digital Solutions & Architecture Mandate & Structure Re-alignment Proposal
VP will have a minimum of 6 Direct Reports. Key Roles include:
Architecture Leader (AVP Level)
Mobile Leader (Director)
Digital Advice Leader (Director)
Portal, Content Management and Identity Access Management Leader (Director)
Sales Force Leader (Director)
DevOps Leader (Director)
Strategy & Planning (Director)
Support Leader (Director)