Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Reporting to the Asia Head of Employee Relations, this role provides guidance to all levels of people leaders and employees on employee or job-related issues and facilitates internal resolution, thereby minimizing company liability and third party complaints. This includes monitoring the company’s internal environment, recommending and participating in HR policy and program development to support a productive work environment, as well as to ensure ER policies and procedures are in compliance with the relevant regulations in Hong Kong.
As Employee Relations (ER) Expert:
- Manage formal disciplinary and complaint processes including proper documentation of highly sensitive or confidential information.
- Conduct end-to-end process for more complex ER case including investigation, mediation, determining disciplinary sanctions and advising management on any potential risks linked to the decision.
- Provide guidance to people leaders and HR partners regarding work-related issues/problems such as performance management, discrimination, harassment or workplace violence, HR policies and practices, legislative requirements to mitigate potential risks.
- Recommend additional escalation/intervention on all ER-related issues as appropriate.
- Provide appropriate support during large-scale interventions (e.g. retrenchment) and ensure all involuntary terminations are handled appropriately, within the legal and statutory requirements and in accordance with standard management practices including severance.
- Manage any legal issues resulting from involuntary termination or other matters directly with the employee, the employee's lawyer and Manulife's legal department as appropriate.
- Advise and provide guidance/support to employees regarding work-related issues including, but not limited to, conflicts with manager/peer, role strain, performance issues, real or perceived discrimination and disability or leave management.
As Employee Relations Support:
- Provide advice on ER related issues in audit, such as assisting in preparation of audit responses and remedial actions plan.
- Consolidate and review monthly HR statistical reports to identify and mitigate potential risks, and make timely escalation to Senior Management as appropriate.
- Work with L&C to review and recommend policy and process improvements on a regular basis to meet regulatory requirements.
As Employee Relations Promoter:
- Identify, evaluate and support the development of customized training required to meet any legislative and/or compliance requirements.
- Work with GLOE to design and deliver relevant, cost-effective and timely ER-related training to both people leaders and employees to enhance overall manager effectiveness and individual productivity.
- Provide guidance to all people leaders and employees on employee or job-related issues to facilitate resolution internally, thereby minimizing company liability and third party complaints.
Key Shared Accountabilities:
- Support the Asia ER Head and CHRO to create a safe and healthy work environment that promotes respect and dignity, and that is free of discrimination, harassment and violence.
- University Degree in related discipline or equivalent experience.
- Previous Employee Relations experience coupled with broader Human Resources generalist or business leader experience.
- Specific knowledge of employee relations principles and common employee relations practices, preferably within the Financial Services sector.
- Working knowledge of Hong Kong labor legislations, employment laws, common law and Equal Opportunity Commission practices, and emerging industry trends.
- Knowledge and some exposure to formal and informal dispute resolution methodology, procedures, techniques (i.e. mediation)
- Skill to communicate diplomatically, both verbally and in writing, to carry out reasonable resolution for dispute management or conflict management.
- Ability to influence decisions through mediation or negotiations as well as in facilitating administrative hearings as part of the due process.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in resolving unique ER related problems that arise in the business.