Manulife Asset Management: Opportunity to enhance and advance your analytical knowledge and skills in the global investment performance and analytics arena. Expand and develop leadership, supervisory, collaboration and communication with focus on investment analytics. The role has a diverse set of responsibilities, challenges, processes and stakeholders. The position will have responsibility for all aspects of performance, attribution and analytics reporting - including account, product, and benchmark data. The primary focus is equity based while being part of a global team supporting all investment types.
This integral role requires an individual who is self-motivated, detail oriented and accountable; one who is self- reliant but adept at collaborating with multiple teams. The ideal candidate will leverage technical expertise (organized and analytical) to help advance the team and functions forward. Opportunities are presented both within the team and beyond with systems implementations, process reengineer, investment analytics and attribution, product development and stakeholder relationships.
As part of the Global Performance & Analytics team, the position will require an organized and results-oriented individual to drive the process in a dynamic, growing organization. This position will have responsibility for all aspects of performance measurement and attribution reporting – focusing on data analytics.
The role requires a strong background in investment performance & analytics, including attribution, security and portfolio characteristics, competitor/peer analysis, a broad knowledge of financial markets and complex investment strategies. Industry designations such as CFA, CAIA, FRM, and CIPM are aligned with the job profile. Knowledge of front office reporting along with BI and data visualization concepts and software is preferred.
The ideal candidate will have an innovative mindset and willingness to learn. As the department evolves technical skills such as SQL, VBA, SAS, Python, and R programming, and predictive modeling will be utilized.
- Support Equity Attribution and work with team to improve data quality
- Respond to ad hoc requests and create value added analysis for investment distribution teams
- Provide technical expertise with regard to performance measurement and attribution
- Requires strong knowledge and understand of both equity and fixed income performance calculations and attribution
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of client reporting
- Partner with operations groups to monitor controls and support valuation process
- Manage tools required in reporting process such as; Factset, Barclay’s Point, Excel, and Bloomberg PORT
- Strong customer service focus and orientation
- Must be detail oriented and be able to work in a fast paced daily production environment
- Support the information needs of sales, marketing, compliance and other users of performance - includes defining, developing and producing performance and analytical reporting that supports needs
- Must have strong communication skills; both written and oral
- Assist in and provide support in new product development efforts
- Act as backup for other team members
- Participate and/or lead projects as assigned
- Must be a team player
- Undergraduate degree in business, economics, or a quantitative discipline, or equivalent strong experience in the industry. MBA or M.Sc. helpful
- Designations such as CFA, CAIA, FRM, or CIPM strongly preferred
- Knowledge of Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS) helpful
- Minimum of five years relevant experience within a data analytics, securities, asset management or performance measurement group, with a solid knowledge of financial instruments and strategies
- Experience with or interest in learning BI and Analytics Software (e.g. MicroStrategy, Qlik, Tablaeu) and Graphic Design/Visualizations, including D3.js is preferred
- Knowledge of relational databases and statistical programming languages R, SAS, Python, MATLAB, and SQL helpful
About the Company
Manulife/John Hancock's Investment Division manages the Company's General Fund, on-balance sheet assets and through Manulife Asset Management, manages assets for institutional clients and investment funds in key markets around the world. The Division manages a broad range of investments including public and private bonds, public and private equities, mortgages, real estate, oil and gas, infrastructure, timberland, farmland and asset allocation strategies. The Division has physical presence in key international financial centers, including the United States, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, the United Kingdom, Australia and throughout South East Asia. Manulife Asset Management also provides investment management services to affiliates' retail clients through product offerings of Manulife and John Hancock.
About John Hancock Financial and Manulife
John Hancock is a division of Manulife Financial Corporation, a leading international financial services
group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers’ needs first and
providing the right advice and solutions. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States, and
Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance and wealth and asset management
solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. Assets under management and administration by
Manulife and its subsidiaries were over $1 trillion (US$806 billion) as of September 30, 2017. Manulife
Financial Corporation trades as MFC on the TSX, NYSE, and PSE, and under 945 on the SEHK. Manulife
can be found at manulife.com.
One of the largest life insurers in the United States, John Hancock supports approximately 10 million
Americans with a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments,
401(k) plans, and college savings plans. We also offer advice through Signator, a network of independent
financial advisors. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com.
Agency submissions and contacts are by invitation only and must be initiated by John Hancock's Recruiting Department only. Unsolicited agency submissions will not be honored.
JOHN HANCOCK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - AA/F/M/D/V