Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Founded in 1862, John Hancock Life Insurance Company, a subsidiary of Toronto-based Manulife Financial Corporation has been providing capital solutions to U.S. middle market companies for decades. In 2000, the Hancock Capital Management team (“HCM”) was established to spearhead these activities. Today, HCM, a wholly-owned subsidiary of John Hancock, manages over $3.0 billion of capital for John Hancock and its partners which include insurance companies, endowments, corporate pension plans, family offices and high net worth individuals. Additional information on HCM can be found at the following website: http://www.hancockcapitalllc.com.
HCM is seeking candidates to apply for the position of Investment Analyst-Private Debt Underwriter for its Leveraged Senior Credit Group. The position will be located in HCM’s Chicago office which serves as the primary location for the leveraged senior lending activities. The candidate will be responsible for supporting senior debt underwriting and portfolio management capabilities within the broader HCM platform, which includes equity co-investments, mezzanine debt, and private equity fund investment strategies.
The professional will support the firm’s effort to construct and manage high quality, diversified senior loan portfolios that exceed market risk-adjusted returns. This will be achieved by evaluating and executing financing opportunities in a manner that balances strong credit disciplines with a positive customer relationship approach. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Analyzing and summarizing all due diligence materials related to the credit quality of businesses being acquired or owned by the firm’s private equity customer base, including the analysis of the company’s historical and present financial condition, products and/or services, sales and marketing strategies, customer and supplier base, industry dynamics, competitive position, management team, and financial projections;
- Working with the origination team to manage the due diligence, screening, and underwriting approval processes;
- Assisting with the syndication process on transactions in which HCM is leading the financings;
- Fulfilling all portfolio management requirements including on-going credit analysis, reporting and follow-on credit activities (amendments, recapitalizations, acquisitions, restructurings, etc.);
- Supporting the firm’s efforts to attract, develop, and retain best-in-class origination, underwriting and portfolio management talent.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Strong credit capabilities with over 3 years of relevant middle market credit underwriting and portfolio management experience.
- Thorough understanding of complex financial modeling.
- Strong finance and accounting skills along with an intense attention to detail.
- A solid understanding of economics and the ability to apply current domestic and global trends to credit underwriting and portfolio management.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage work flow while taking ownership for the results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office product suite.
This position is subject to the Securities and Exchange Commission’s Pay-to-Play Rule 206(4)-5 regarding political contributions by investment advisors and their covered associates.
About the Company
Manulife/John Hancock's Investment Division manages the Company's General Fund, on-balance sheet assets and through Manulife Asset Management, manages assets for institutional clients and investment funds in key markets around the world. The Division manages a broad range of investments including public and private bonds, public and private equities, mortgages, real estate, oil and gas, infrastructure, timberland, farmland and asset allocation strategies. The Division has physical presence in key international financial centers, including the United States, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, the United Kingdom, Australia and throughout South East Asia. Manulife Asset Management also provides investment management services to affiliates' retail clients through product offerings of Manulife and John Hancock.
About John Hancock Financial and Manulife
John Hancock is a division of Manulife Financial Corporation, a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers’ needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States, and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. Assets under management and administration by Manulife and its subsidiaries were over $1 trillion (US$806 billion) as of September 30, 2017. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as MFC on the TSX, NYSE, and PSE, and under 945 on the SEHK. Manulife can be found at manulife.com.
One of the largest life insurers in the United States, John Hancock supports approximately 10 million Americans with a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments, 401(k) plans, and college savings plans. We also offer advice through Signator, a network of independent financial advisors. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com. Agency submissions and contacts are by invitation only and must be initiated by John Hancock's Recruiting Department only. Unsolicited agency submissions will not be honored.
JOHN HANCOCK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - AA/F/M/D/V