In 2013, Manulife Financial introduced a new unit, Manulife Asset Management Private Markets, to bring together Manulife’s specialized private market teams managing funds for third party investors and to provide access to the Company’s other specialized teams that historically have primarily served the General Fund. Manulife Asset Management Private Markets has investment expertise in several private asset classes, including commercial real estate, timberland, farmland, renewable energy, oil and gas, private equity and mezzanine debt. Manulife Asset Management Private Markets also partners with Manulife Financials specialized private asset investment teams to invest in private placement debt and commercial mortgages.
Private Markets’ target clients are institutional investors globally (North America and Asia).
Primary Purpose of this Role
The Private Markets Coop will be responsible for supporting Manulife Asset Management Private Markets’ sales, marketing, client services, and management team initiatives. Responsibilities will include gathering and validating data; helping to update the sales and marketing materials and assisting in special projects. In addition, the Coop will also support the sales, marketing and management teams for ad hoc data needs (e.g., internal or external presentations, sales RFPs / RFIs senior management data requests).
Job Description and Duties
- Respond to various ad-hoc requests received from sales, marketing, client services; special projects as requested
- Provide writing support (prose or presentation creation) on new content generation
- Assist Market Data Associate with data gathering projects
- Help to streamline processes where needed
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Please list the key qualifications and competencies you want candidates to possess
- Successful candidates will be ones that can demonstrate resourcefulness, entrepreneurship, and a willingness to challenge themselves
- Knowledge of asset management business, financial terms and products
- Experience with any of the asset classes in the Private Markets business (refer to the opening statement) a plus
- Superior Excel/Word/PowerPoint skills desired, including pivot tables, macros, formatting and data presentation
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to manage multiple priorities from multiple stakeholders and balancing between day-to-day responsibilities and ad hoc requests with short turnarounds
- Demonstrated critical thinking and decision making competencies
- Proactive and takes initiative; ability to identify and implement enhancements to existing processes
- Ability to work independently in a dynamic and deadline driven environment, and being flexible and adaptable when dealing with change
- Excellent professionalism, interpersonal and relationship building skills
The Private Markets Co-op will have the opportunity to
- Build and apply knowledge as it relates to the Private Markets asset classes
- Work closely with a team that develops Funds and SMA strategies
- Make significant contributions at all stages in the investment process, including helping with pitch materials and client onboarding processes
Minimum GPA Desired: 3.0 (4.0 being the highest)
Relevant Majors of Study: Business, Finance, Economics, Accounting or related discipline
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
About Manulife/John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. As of June 30, 2017, we had over $1 trillion (US$780 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $26.7 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
John Hancock is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.