Manulife/John Hancock is an innovative global financial services company on the move. Launching recently into the top 30 asset management firms in the world and offering our leading private asset management capabilities to outside investors, the Investment Division looks to continue this momentum as we adapt to changing client needs. In order to accelerate our capacity for change and explore new ideas, we have launched LOFT, the Lab of Forward Thinking, an organization focused on innovation to deliver new, valuable services and products to our customers and internal business stakeholders.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial full stack software engineers who is obsessed with the end goal, thinks big, and has explosive drive and contagious energy to see their visions through to fruition.
Are you equally good in front end and back end development? You don’t mind working on both in parallel? Are you passionate about artificial intelligence and cognitive computing? If yes please read further.
You will play a key role in:
- Incubating initiatives focused on new technologies, particularly artificial intelligence, and emerging customer needs to identify product and business model opportunities
- Rapid prototyping and development to validate initiatives in the marketplace
- Providing the technical expertise and talent to come up with new ideas, improve existing ones and guide the main business stakeholders into LOFT’s agile way of delivering products.
- You believe in software engineering and not ‘coding’. Similar to other fields of engineering software craftsmanship is a pure abstract art of engineering.
- Minimum 5+ years of professional experience
- You understand that modern client facing app are really applications and not outdated static html site.
- You incorporate design patterns and best practices into building a solid yet lightweight application with no tolerance for spaghetti code.
- Mastery of back end development: Experience with Node.js (a must have , +express framework) using best practices. Other backend languages are a plus but not the main focus.
- Relational (SQL) and non-Relational database experience (NoSQL, MongoDB is a must have).
- Experience or familiarity with software architecture and design patterns (Martin Fowler/ gang of four).
- Experience or familiarity with cloud infrastructures: Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure
- Experience with Object Oriented programming and functional programming. Know which is best for a specific scenario.
- Understanding customer needs and opportunities in order to prototype and deliver solutions in an agile manner.
- Building technology solutions tightly coupled with business value.
- Ability to communicate technology related matter with non-technical stakeholders.
- Used to working under an agile/scrum process (we are not evangelist about the details, but the concept in general).
- Some DevOps experience like: configuration management tools (ansible, chef..), docker and others.
- Experience with in Memory database/caching using Redis
- Experience with lightning speed searching using ElasticSearch
- Apache Spark is not required but definitely appreciated.
- Prior start up experience
- Demonstrated passion and love for innovation. This is not a regular 9 to 5 role.
- Real life personal projects to talk about. It doesn’t have to be monetized, anything that you built to improve someone else’s life would be really great to share with us.
You will bring and continuously build upon the following skills:
- Entrepreneurial spirit comfortable working within a startup environment that is rapidly changing.
- High level of curiosity and comfort with ambiguity.
- Capacity for constant learning from both success and failure, remaining open to change and continuous improvement
Minimal education requirements:
- BEng/MEng/Masc in Software Engineering
- BS/Msc in Computer Science
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. As of June 30, 2017, we had over $1 trillion (US$780 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $26.7 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.