- Plan and execute audit projects in accordance with department standards.
- Manage projects within time budgets and target dates, reporting any timing problems or budget over-runs to supervisors.
- Conduct interviews with management regarding the risks being managed by business unit; and assist in developing audit programs to evaluate these risks.
- Lead audit staff assisting on projects and review completed files to ensure quality of work completed.
- Assist in assessing control effectiveness.
- Assist in preparing audit reports, including executive summary and audit issues, making practical and value-added recommendations to improve risk management practices and the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Assist in presenting findings and recommendations to business unit management; resolve contentious issues and reach agreement on appropriate solutions.
- Follow up on open audit issues until resolved.
- Provide feedback to staff on assignments and contribute to their development.
- Utilize technology to improve effectiveness and efficiency of audit process.
- Assist business unit management by providing risk management consulting support and risk management education and training.
- Complete assigned work required to support External Auditors.
- Demonstrated understanding of business processes and their risk implications, being able to analyze situations, reach appropriate conclusions, and make value-added and practical recommendations
- Demonstrated knowledge of audit methodologies, project management and system development methodologies, control frameworks and risk management practices, and regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of life insurance operations desired
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and recommendations orally and in writing, and to listen and consider ideas of others
- Strong customer focus and commitment to quality
- Ability to develop and carry out audit programs to deliver quality results on time and within budget
- Ability to exercise and demonstrate sound judgment
- Results oriented; ability to balance multiple priorities and projects
- Proven relationship skills including a demonstrated ability to deal effectively with business units and staff at all levels
- Leadership skills in achieving departmental, project and individual objectives
- Ability to manage goals in situations without formal structure and to adapt to change
- University degree required
- A recognized accounting (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA) or auditing (CIA) designation desirable.
- 3 to 4 years of internal/external audit or equivalent business experience.
This Position Description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by employees in this job. It is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for this job classification.