Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The Team Leader role is primarily responsible for the leadership and direction of the Group Finance Reporting team. This position provides oversight for the accurate, timely and relevant delivery of required project reports, journal entries and accounting reports. The Team Leader will work closely with the Business Unit to understand and deliver all regular and AdHoc requirements.
The role involves analysis and interpretation of accounting data, understanding end-to-end process and spearheading the improvement of existing processes and procedures.
Role and Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the Domain Lead of Finance Support - Investments and Finance, the Team Leader is primarily accountable to ensure the integrity of the company’s books of records through timely and accurate service delivery of Accounting Operations.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Manage the teams’ day-to-day operations promoting team efficiency and process effectiveness.
- Ensure that all Service Level Agreements and compliance standards are met at all times
- Allocate and delegate tasks to team members and manage the task monitoring system used for regular business review / governance reporting.
- Ensure the delivery of excellent customer service by proactively promoting client centricity.
- Act as the project manager who will oversee the planning, implementation and tracking of any short-term or streamlining/automation projects.
- Support AdHoc analysis to identify root cause of production problems and develop timely solutions.
- Effectively communicate significant production updates and challenges to management as well as to the Business Unit in a timely manner.
- Manage and mitigate operational risks and ensure that issues are escalated timely and resolution is effective. Validate the accuracy of operational risk heat maps and other risk assessments.
- Accountable for the timely and effective closure of audit points.
- Timely and effective delivery of KPI and KRI reports, business dashboards and other metrics as required by management as well as the Business Unit.
- Drive the sharing of best practices, fostering collaboration and innovation across the teams within the domain.
- Execute on strategic priorities and evolve the service delivery model toward a scalable and strategic global business shared service.
Leadership / Management
- Drive the team in achieving its organizational goals and objectives.
- Consult with MBPS Investments and Finance management on business planning, direction, and identification of opportunities for team growth and development.
- Perform the People Manager role for the performance management, professional growth and development of staff which includes feedback sessions, productivity tracking, coaching, one-to-one meetings and regular employee reviews.
- Perform managerial duties such as hiring, attendance/incentives management and overall coordination with the support departments such as HR, Finance and IT.
- Support and deliver on key transformation strategies of the group, as a priority.
- Establish a high level of credibility and build professional relationships with our customers.
- To ensure customer-centered outcomes, manage business relationships and act as a business partner for our Business Unit service recipients. Enable feedback channels to the business in order to align expectations and priorities.
- In partnership with our customers, define and periodically refresh service level standards across the teams within the domain and manage the achievement of KPIs as defined within the Service Level Agreements and Schedule of Services.
- Develop the domain’s capability and functional expertise through training/development, coaching/mentoring, strategic talent management, succession-planning, and supporting mobility.
- Ensure that the MBPS Investment and Finance Governance model is adhered to across the domain.
Special projects will arise from time to time that will require strong financial knowledge, strong analytical and organizational skills with an innovative mindset. The Lead will be responsible for Ad-Hoc projects as required by senior management pertaining to the introduction of new services, products and processes.
- University degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business-related courses.
- CPA designation or professional accounting designation (not required but an advantage).
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in Accounting Operations and/or Audit.
- Excellent analytical and technical skills.
- Strong people management experience (3+ years) to lead, manage and develop professional staff.
- Experience in working in a broad Matrix organization listening and using influence to make an impact.
- Ability to work in ambiguous environment and adapt to change while managing time and workload with aggressive timelines.
- Experience working across multiple geographies and time zones.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively across cultures, geographies and senior leadership.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Innovative thinker with the ability to negotiate, influence and challenge the status quo to continuously improve processes.
- Ability to anticipate issues and think proactively to resolve issues and risk.
- Outstanding communication and active listening skills, with a strong ability to build and maintain strong relationships across all levels within the organization.
- Highly organized with an ability to work in a fast-paced, multi stakeholder environment and manage multiple priorities.
- Familiarity with project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle
- Presents complex ideas clearly, with an ability to manage the complexities of executing significant change and influence individuals across business boundaries to achieve objectives.
- Understanding of general finance systems or applications available in the market.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of Excel (i.e. mastery of excel formulas and pivot tables is a must; VBA is a plus). Proficient in MS Office suite including Outlook, Word, Power Point, and Project.
- Must be willing to work for a night shift schedule with NDHP.
- Overtime may be required to meet business deadlines.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. At the end of 2016, we had $977 billion (US$728 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.