Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Does change excite you? Do you want to be part of the team that redefines how we get work done? We are changing the way we develop and we want you to be part of it! We are growing our delivery team, with the mandate to power world-class customer and employee experiences through software.
The customer is at the focus of everything we do, and millions of end users rely on our products daily. We believe in the value of empowering engineers with the resources to solve critical problems for the future of the business, which is why we need you.
We are seeking self-motivated engineers, who are obsessed with understanding the business, delivering value, are forward-thinking, and excited to see the successful implementation of the products they deliver for the Wealth and Asset Management business at Manulife. Systems include client-facing websites, mobile apps for financial advisors, portfolio management and asset allocation applications, mutual fund and pension fund performance analytics, factsheet publishing systems and wealth and investment operations automation platforms to name a few.
Successful candidates will be hands-on and part of a talented software development team engaged in development of custom and integrating with vendor applications. Candidates will be engaged in all phases of the software development lifecycle (using Agile methodologies) including understanding user stories, software architecture and design, coding, automated testing, tool-chain scripting and Development Operations.
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit and comfort working within a rapidly changing startup environment; you love the challenge of working on a small team and being part of a larger movement to change the engineering culture of an enterprise
- Collaborate with business stakeholders, product managers, software engineers, and operations engineers to uncover pain points and opportunities to deliver new business value through software
- Prototype and build new functionality to deliver on key product objectives
- Deliver an exceptional user experience to our customers, through the delivery of products and services with strong and extendable architectural design
- Maintain and support these services, with accountability for production reliability and usage, and the delivery of new functionality
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience in object oriented programming (Java, .NET, GoLang etc).
- Web-based front-end development experience (ReactJS, AngularJS, HTML5, CSS3 etc)
- Solid experience with Design patterns and microservices architecture patterns.
- Solid experience with relational databases such as MS-SQL Server or Oracle
- 1-3+ years of in depth experience with cloud application development and/or NoSQL database driven application development and/or Servlet driven web application development and/or REST service development.
- Strong verbal and written communication with the ability to effectively articulate and communicate technical vision, possibilities, and outcomes across all levels in the organization
- Understanding of the fundamentals of capital markets or financial services in support of our service or product offerings
- Familiar with dependency injection frameworks (Spring/Guice), high concurrency platforms (Akka/Actor pattern) and Web Services (REST/SOAP).
- Experienced with servlet containers such as Jetty and Tomcat.
- Experienced with message buses such as RabbitMQ
- Experienced with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB.
- Experienced with container technology (e.g. Docker)
- Experienced with source versioning (GIT, SVN, Mercurial) and unit testing (jUnit/xUnit etc).
- Experienced with deployment tools such as Gradle and Maven.
- Experienced with using Agile development methodology (Scrum, Scaled agile, Kanban).
- Experienced with continuous integration tools such as TravisCI, Jenkins or Concourse. Prior testing and QA experience will be considered a definite asset.
- Cloud Foundry and other components supporting a highly-automated global engineering platform
- Open source! As we accelerate our delivery of world-class experiences, we know embracing open source technologies will help us get there. Any experience with open source is very attractive to us!
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2017, we had approximately 34,000 employees, 73,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 26 million customers. As of December 31, 2017, we had over $1.04 trillion (US$829.4 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $26.7 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.