Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The role is accountable for the overall leadership and management of the General Account Investment Operations business line within Manulife Business Processing Services (“MBPS”) and for the maintenance of trust with our customers. The role is currently responsible for approximately 25 full time employees (“FTEs”) spanning the Securities, Vendor Management, and Mortgage Operations teams.
Role and Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the MBPS Service Delivery Functional Lead for Investments, the GA Investment Operations lead is primarily accountable for leading the Securities, Vendor Management, and Mortgage Operations teams in ensuring to protect the group from operational loss through timely, accurate and effective service delivery of trade operations, procurement and vendor management, global custody network management, and loan servicing functions. Responsibilities include the following:
- Provide functional expertise and be accountable for the efficiency and quality of service delivery for the investments operations Securities, Vendor Management, and Mortgage Administration teams.
- Collaborate and develop relationships with group and divisional risk functions. Ensure the effective cascade and communication on operational risk awareness and management practices.
- Support and deliver on key transformation strategies of the group, as a priority.
- Establish a high level of credibility and build professional relationships with our customers and stakeholders.
- To ensure customer-centered outcomes, manage business relationships and act as a business partner for our Business Unit service recipients. Enable feedback channels to the business in order to align expectations and priorities.
- In partnership with our customers, define and periodically refresh service level standards across the teams within the domain and manage the achievement of KPIs as defined within the Service Level Agreements and Schedule of Services.
- Manage and mitigate operational risk and ensure that issues are escalated timely and resolution is effective. Validate the accuracy of operational risk heat maps and other risk assessments. Accountable for timely and effective closure of audit points.
- Timely and effective delivery on KPI and KRI reporting, business dashboards and other metrics as required.
- Drive the sharing of best practices, fostering collaboration, and innovation across the teams within the domain.
- Develop the domain’s capability and functional expertise through training/development, coaching/mentoring, strategic talent management, succession-planning, and supporting mobility.
- Ensure that the MBPS Investment Governance model is adhered to across the business line.
- Manage a growing team with responsibility for hiring, compensation, promotion, and performance management.
- University degree in accounting, economics, finance, or business management.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in securities operations and/or financial services.
- Investment Operations with cross product exposure is required.
- Broad knowledge of life insurance and asset management business, audit methodologies, control frameworks, risk management techniques
- Excellent analytical and technical skills
- Sound financial acumen with a solid understanding of the business environment through practical experience.
- Strong people management experience (3+ years) to lead, manage and develop professional staff.
- Proven track record and positive reputation to influence others and move toward a common vision or goal, within and/or beyond their business area.
- Ability to work in ambiguous environment and adapt to change while managing time and workload with aggressive timelines.
- Experience working across multiple geographies and time zones. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively across cultures, geographies and senior leadership. Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Innovative thinker with the ability to negotiate, influence and challenge the status quo to continuously improve processes
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to work with complex financial issues and concepts.
- Ability to anticipate issues and think proactively to resolve issues and risk.
- Outstanding communication and active listening skills, with a strong ability to build and maintain strong relationships across all levels within the organization.
- Highly organized with an ability to work in a fast-paced, multi stakeholder environment and manage multiple priorities.
- Solid understanding of the various aspects of the business operations.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of Excel (i.e. mastery of excel formulas and pivot tables is a must; VBA is a plus). Proficient in MS Office suite including Outlook, Word, Power Point, and Project.
- Flexible on shift and overtime may be required to meet business deadlines.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. At the end of 2016, we had $977 billion (US$728 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.