Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Job Description Summary
The Data Engineer is responsible for developing and implementing a strategic enterprise data lake capabilities for collecting, storing, processing enterprise & divisional data to support and enable analytics, digital transformation and operational improvements. This involves researching, recommending and choosing optimal solutions to manage and implement modern data architecture as well as maintaining and monitoring the success of these solutions. The incumbent must have a passion for how data can be leveraged and used to drive deeper, meaningful insights that enhance the customer experience, grow our businesses, minimize risk and engage our employees globally.
The Data Engineer has primary responsibility for:
- Modern Data Architecture: Setting the strategic rollout, selection and delivery of proven as well as emerging tooling to ensure that data pipelines are scalable, repeatable and secure serving multiple users within the organization. The incumbent is responsible for implementing highly complex, multi-faceted big data initiatives associated the following functions areas:
- Translate complex functional and technical requirements into detailed design and high performing capabilities;
- Lead the design and build of data patterns and services - both batch, real-time and complex event handing - leveraging open technologies;
- Ensure the timely delivery to meet project timeline by automating development and deployment tasks;
- Effectively manage operational risk and change with a continuous focus on process improvements.
- Governance and Controls: Responsible for ensuring all data management processes conform to standard operating procedures and aligns with how a modern data architecture aligns to enterprise technology standards and policies; contribute and provide guidance around data quality, metadata management, data stewardship and security, and access controls.
- Innovation and Continuous Improvement: Evaluate/conduct PoC of new data technologies and capabilities that are value-driven; work closely with Manulife’s innovation teams (i.e., LOFT), remain current with industry advancements working closely external vendors as well connected to the Apache Foundation projects.
- Demonstrated 7-10 years professional experience in big data/data management including a university degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent program;
- Extensive expertise in data technologies and the use of data to support software development, advanced analytics and reporting. Particular focus on Cloud (Azure) and Hadoop-based technologies and programming or scripting languages like Java, Scala, Linux, C++, PHP, Ruby, Python, R and SAS. Also expert knowledge should be present regarding different (NoSQL or RDBMS) databases such as Hawq/HDB, MongoDB, Cassandra or Hbase; Working experience with modern data streaming process with Kafka, Apache Spark, Flink and data ingestion framework NiFi, Hive, Pig, etc.
- Experience with security/data protection solutions, Kerberos, Active Directory, HDFS Access Control, OAuth2, OpenID, LDAP
- Experience with network layer security design in VPN, firewall, Loadbalancer
- Experience and capability in translating non-technical user requests into complex technical specifications and solutions that meet these requirements;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with ability to multi-task. Ability to work with minimal or no supervision while performing duties; has the ability and initiative to organize various functions necessary to accomplish department activities or goals and be a strong team player.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. At the end of 2016, we had $977 billion (US$728 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.