Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The Manager, Internal Controls & Risk reports into the Global Head of Risk & Controls and will play a significant role in supporting the Investment Division, Operations both from a Global Optimization (GO) and Business as Usual (BAU) has indicated below:
- Support all areas within Investment Operations, in the increase awareness of Risk and Control program initiatives, as well as an enhance the global control framework within the organization.
- Manage the development and execution of strategic Corporate and Division Wide Risk and Control objectives within Investment Operations.
Reporting to the Head of Global Risk and Control, within Investment Operations and interacting with middle management as well as with the operational teams within the organization. This position is focused on risk prevention and detention by enhancing/automating existing controls and procedures or creating controls and procedures to support risk migration throughout the organization.
Work in a dynamic global team of Control and Risk Professionals where the key focus is on the analysis and action plan support on all Business Incidents, Audit Preparation and Resolution, Risk Control Self Assessments as well as the support of Corporate initiatives involving Risk Management and Controls. Provide guidance and support to the team.
Act as a Risk Champion and Risk Advocate across the organization, as well as a trusted advisor to the Head of Global Risk& Control to ensure the message of risk migration and the enhancement of the Global Control framework is delivered to all aspects of the organization.
Act as a Senior Contact on Risk initiatives. Execute on strategic initiatives within Investment Operations to ensure we are in alignment with the Corporation.
Perform project management activities associated with the Control Workstream within the Global Optimization Program.
Identify areas of control weakness and work with Management in the resolution of those weakness through new tools, controls and procedures, including Robotic Process Automation (RPA technology) solutions.
Execute on Management reporting initiatives within Risk and Control to provide transparency to the organization.
Communicate Risk Management and Control awareness within Investment Operations through the execute of appropriate messaging and activities that align and support the enhancing of our global control framework.
Review and appraise the soundness, effectiveness, and proper application of controls and procedures within the organization.
Assess the adequacy and extent of controls and procedures designed to safeguard organization risk.
Compile and issue reports detailing conclusions and providing recommendations for improvements, including Robotic Process Automation (RPA technology) solutions.
Direct and appraise the activities of risk and control team members. Recommends employee training.
Perform independent internal control reviews on the functional operational teams, provide findings and recommendations to enhance controls and procedures.
Drive the development, approval and delivery of the Internal Control.
Train & improve awareness on risk management and internal control concepts with the Team and organization.
- Lead and execute upon focused initiatives to deliver improved processes and controls as requested by the business. This could include Records Retention, Business Continuity, Robotic Process Automation and Global Optimization initiatives.
- Work in collaboration within the organization in the Administration of the Records Retention policies and procedures.
- Work in collaboration within the organization in the Administration of our Business Continuity plans, make updates to relevant systems, as needed.
- Develop strong relationships with key business stakeholders to help develop a thorough understanding of the business's risk profile and core processes and controls.
- Possess outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Possess technical skills, proficient in Excel, Visio, knowledgeable of Robotic Process Automation concepts.
- Ability to distill complex operational situations and develops risk mitigates.
- Effective problem solving and interpersonal skills, with a strong ability to build and maintain relationships, active listening skills.
- Ability to interact within their own organization, but more broadly across the enterprise – leveraging staff in both their functional silo as well as supporting a distributed execution model – set governance, policies etc. but support operationalization of those policies across the business. Also included initiatives around communication and information sharing across teams.
- Highly organized with an ability to work in a fast-paced, multi stakeholder environment and manage multiple priorities.
- Critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Experience working with Risk Management and Control environments.
- Experience and familiarity with the Asset and Wealth Management industries and (or) Custodian Banks. Operations knowledge is required.
- University degree required, MBA (or CPA/ACCA/CA) a plus.
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in internal risk or controls role. Clear understanding of control, frameworks and methodologies.
- Knowledgeable of Business Continuity concepts and plans
- Knowledgeable of Records Retention policies and procedures.
- Ability to partner with other disciplines such as Compliance, Legal, Technology, Information Risk Management, Business Continuity etc. to deliver robust program around records retention.
- Ability to set strategic objectives and drive long-term or strategic planning for the Records Management function designed to improve risk and control standards, vendor management, and team productivity and quality. Looking ahead to probable future regulatory and business requirements and plans to cover them.
- Experience working with audit or compliance or risk management
- Project Management skills
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to effectively coach and mentor employees
- Business Analyst skills, with subject matter expertise in the Investment Management or Custodian Bank industry.
Note: This role could be based in Boston, Toronto or Montreal
This Position Description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by employees in this job. It is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for this job classification.
About the Company
Manulife/John Hancock's Investment Division manages the Company's General Fund, on-balance sheet assets and through Manulife Asset Management, manages assets for institutional clients and investment funds in key markets around the world. The Division manages a broad range of investments including public and private bonds, public and private equities, mortgages, real estate, oil and gas, infrastructure, timberland, farmland and asset allocation strategies. The Division has physical presence in key international financial centers, including the United States, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, the United Kingdom, Australia and throughout South East Asia. Manulife Asset Management also provides investment management services to affiliates' retail clients through product offerings of Manulife and John Hancock.
About John Hancock Financial and Manulife
John Hancock is a division of Manulife Financial Corporation, a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers’ needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States, and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. Assets under management and administration by Manulife and its subsidiaries were over $1.04 trillion (US$829.4 billion) as of December 31, 2017. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as MFC on the TSX, NYSE, and PSE, and under 945 on the SEHK. Manulife can be found at manulife.com.
One of the largest life insurers in the United States, John Hancock supports approximately 10.7 million Americans with a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments, 401(k) plans, and college savings plans. We also offer advice through Signator, a network of independent financial advisors. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com. Agency submissions and contacts are by invitation only and must be initiated by John Hancock's Recruiting Department only. Unsolicited agency submissions will not be honored.
JOHN HANCOCK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - AA/F/M/D/V