Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The candidate is expected to be accountable on delivery of production-ready Qlikview applications for actuarial valuation reporting and analysis. He should have the ability with the oversight of Reporting Database Developer and Qlik Analysts. By providing adherence to standards in architecture, programming and documentation PLUS a guidance to Reporting Analysts and Reporting DB Developers to interpret actuarial requirements to implement sensibly in IT, he/she is responsible for offering alternative solutions to RP&C analysts when their desired solutions are onerous to deliver from a technical perspective.
This role is to take ownership of data issues and reporting spec gaps, set priorities with the business etc. and to build a strategic partnership with RP&C team. He/she would have the overview of the various Reporting Applications and Feeds, outlining how they are used and is able to ensure understanding of LoB specific feed requirements. He/she also should have solid grasp of reporting development process including data exchanges, roles and responsibilities and End user requirements.
We are looking for a strong and experienced reporting and analytics leader to join us.
- Daily interactions with Business Unit and Division Actuarial SMEs; VST Reporting, Process & Change Team; and the VST Data Warehouse Team to define requirements for reporting and analytics (data sources, target layouts, filters, flexibility requirements etc.)
- Development of Qlikview tactical applications through iteration of prototypes with business SMEs to arrive at a user-accepted product. This will require the team to:
- Understand both the source data and the actuarial reporting & analysis requirements
- Develop data sourcing, transformation and calculation scripts in Qlikview
- Develop user interfaces in Qlikview
- Review work-in-progress with users to gather feedback and troubleshoot issues
- D&S reporting analysts should focus on building to spec and interacting with the users
The team will apply a hypothesis-based approach which is significantly different from a typical waterfall development method. The team will need to build an intuitive understanding of the user requirements and apply this understanding to develop the tactical solution, without having previously prepared any detailed requirements documents. Also, the VST method does not include a detailed analysis of current-state solutions at the start, because current-state solutions are generally assumed not to be fit for purpose going forward.
- Documentation of technical specifications (data-to-report mappings, data-to-analysis mappings) in parallel to development of the tactical applications
- Upon achievement of user acceptance of the tactical applications, conversion of these applications to a strategic configuration (e.g. interfacing Qlikview with Data Warehouse; preparing for use in production environment)
- Quality Assurance support, e.g. advice on creation of test cases and data, and bug fixes
- Continuous improvement of Reporting work stream methodology (problem-solving approaches, development & documentation standards, quality control protocols, etc)
- Daily planning meetings with the Reporting team – both onshore and offshore – to ensure clarity of individual objectives, priorities and next steps, and solutions for barriers to progress
- Quality control for Qlikview programming and documentation (adherence to VST standard frameworks for programming and documentation, application of good technical practice, and oversight of unit testing)
- Technical solutions for complex issues relating to data intake, user interface design and production operations
- Technical guidance and programming skills coaching to data team members
- Coordination with QA team to plan and execute script testing activities covering functional and non-functional requirements (e.g. stability, speed etc.)
- Definition of process for version control and code promotion, in consultation with Platform Services
- Orientation of new team members to the project scope & objectives, team mandate, individual responsibilities and development & testing environments
- Degree holder with relevant experience in reporting and analytics area
- Senior Qlikview programming including development, testing, troubleshooting and production readiness
- Senior SQL developer skills including data model design, database script development, preparation of database views, testing, troubleshooting and production readiness
- Understanding of actuarial reporting, data discovery and analysis requirements
- Understanding of good user experience practices & design principles in the context of data analytics applications
- Knowledge of database documentation standards and good practices
- Facilitation with Strategic Data and Reporting teams to jointly define and prioritize detailed requirements, and devise solutions to technical challenge
- Daily team activity planning and management, e.g. Scrum
- Development approach needs to be agile and flexible
- Experienced data script developer who demonstrates good capability, aptitude for analytics application user interface design, and desire to lead a team
- Structured written communications
- Strong oral communications and a good command of the English language
- Self-starter, driven individual who is willing to go above and beyond during peak development cycles
- High degree of dedication and passion
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. At the end of 2016, we had $977 billion (US$728 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.