Job Title: Managing Director, Model Portfolio Lead, Asset Allocation Models – (PSG)
Department: Portfolio Solutions Group
Division: Investment Division
Job Function: Head of Global Pension and Fiduciary Solutions (PSG)
Asset Allocation Reporting Relationships:
Number of Employees that will report to this position: currently 0 but possible in the future
A senior level position reporting directly to the Head of Pension and Fiduciary Solutions and overseeing a series discretionary and non-discretionary asset allocation model portfolios. The role includes monitoring and implementing asset class decisions across model client portfolios. Model portfolios overseen are global, multi-asset strategies that are comprised of a wide range of affiliated and non-affiliated mutual funds and ETFs. You will serve as a key spokesperson to build the model asset allocation business and PSG brand awareness by partnering with distribution and product development teams.
• Responsible for ongoing oversight including performance monitoring and key investment risks associated with asset class positioning across the model portfolios.
• Delivering performance outcomes consistent with the objectives of the strategies.
• Collaborate with broader global PSG team comprised of ~40 individuals to leverage asset allocation views and positioning within the model portfolios.
• Deliver ongoing asset class recommendations to clients and articulate changes in views and positioning to their respective investment committees
Asset Allocation Model Development
• Partner with senior management, business units, distribution, and product development to develop asset allocation models designed to meet specific institutional and retail needs.
• Collaborate with quantitative and fundamental research analysts within PSG to develop and optimize new asset allocation models utilizing proprietary capital market assumptions.
• Serve as project lead on new model portfolio opportunities
• Be viewed as a subject matter expert in the asset allocation broker/dealer model business.
• Support the asset gathering process through the effective delivery of presentations, participation in conference calls, and the assisting in the development of investment-related marketing material.
• The ability to enhance the team’s asset allocation model offerings and presence is a critical objective
• BA/BS Degree required Master’s degree or higher preferred. CFA or other designations preferred.
• Minimum of ten years of related experience.
• Direct experience in managing or overseeing multi asset class model portfolios
• Experience working with clients and presenting to boards and committees
Knowledge, Skills, Attributes
• Strong balance of both investment and business skills
• Deep understanding of asset allocation techniques and concepts
• Knowledge of industry-leading portfolio analysis software including Bloomberg, Factset, Morningstar Direct, etc.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the investment marketplace and industry trends in the institutional and retail market.
• An Entrepreneurial mindset and willingness to do some travel
About the Company
Manulife/John Hancock's Investment Division manages the Company's General Fund, on-balance sheet assets and through Manulife Asset Management, manages assets for institutional clients and investment funds in key markets around the world. The Division manages a broad range of investments including public and private bonds, public and private equities, mortgages, real estate, oil and gas, infrastructure, timberland, farmland and asset allocation strategies. The Division has physical presence in key international financial centers, including the United States, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, the United Kingdom, Australia and throughout South East Asia. Manulife Asset Management also provides investment management services to affiliates' retail clients through product offerings of Manulife and John Hancock.
About John Hancock Financial and Manulife
John Hancock is a division of Manulife, a leading Canada-based financial services group with principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States. Operating as Manulife in Canada and Asia, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States, our group of companies offers clients a diverse range of financial protection products and wealth management services through its extensive network of employees, agents and distribution partners. Assets under management and administration by Manulife and its subsidiaries were $1 trillion (US $754 billion) as at March 31, 2017. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as 'MFC' on the TSX, NYSE and PSE, and under '945' on the SEHK. Manulife can be found on the Internet at manulife.com.
The John Hancock unit, through its insurance companies, comprises one of the largest life insurers in the United States. John Hancock offers and administers a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments, 401(k) plans, long-term care insurance, college savings, and other forms of business insurance. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com.
Agency submissions and contacts are by invitation only and must be initiated by John Hancock's Recruiting Department only. Unsolicited agency submissions will not be honored.
JOHN HANCOCK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - AA/F/M/D/V