- Lead actuarial audit projects and associated staff.
- Plan and execute audit projects in accordance with department standards.
- Manage projects within time budgets and target dates.
- Understand the business and its risks; develop risk management objectives and audit programs to evaluate these risks.
- “Think outside of the box” to support decision making with thorough and relevant research and analysis.
- Provide consulting services to business unit management, delivering recommendations that effectively and efficiently enhance their controls.
- Review completed files to ensure quality of work.
- Prepare audit reports, including executive summary and rating of adequacy of risk management, making practical and value-added recommendations to improve risk management practices and the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Present findings and recommendations to business unit management; assist in the resolution of contentious issues.
- Support the development of appropriate solutions to risk management and operational efficiency issues.
- Provide feedback to staff assisting on assignments and contribute to their development and performance appraisals.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the effectiveness and efficiency of the audit process.
- Monitor status of reported issues and assist with issue closure.
- Ability to quickly understand business processes and their risk implications, analyze complex situations, reach appropriate conclusions, and make value-added and practical recommendations.
- Excellent knowledge of audit methodologies, project management methodologies, control frameworks and risk management practices.
- Working knowledge of financial institutions, particularly life insurers, and actuarial functions within these organizations.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and recommendations, listen and consider ideas of others, and consider needs of different audiences.
- Collaborate with management to obtain a consensus on identified issues, the nature and potential impact of risks, and corresponding recommendation to resolve the risk exposure.
- Proven relationship skills including a demonstrated ability to deal effectively with staff and clients at all levels.
- Ability to establish a high level of credibility with business unit management.
- Ability to develop and implement plans to deliver quality results on time and on budget in a multi-tasking environment.
- Results oriented; ability to balance multiple priorities and projects.
- Ability to adapt to change.
- Leadership skills in achieving departmental, project and individual objectives, and in developing staff.
- University degree with 5 years of internal/external audit experience required. Recognized relevant professional designation or equivalent business experience is a plus.
- Overtime may be required to meet internal or external deadlines
- Travel opportunity, typically to Asia, 1-2 times a year. Duration of each trip is 2-3 weeks. Travel between Canada and the US at times as well.
- Location is flexible. Can be in Boston, Toronto or Waterloo.