What if I told you that Manulife, a financial company, has a fun, laid back work environment with flexible hours, jeans, and work from home arrangements? What if I told you we're working towards modern processes including DevOps and with modern tools like Jira, Jenkins, and Docker? What if I told you we are striving to innovate and schedule monthly hackathons?
But I am! We're not some old, stuffy insurance company. We're a large company with lots of young talent going through a transformation to be not just a financial company, but a technology company.
Manulife Financial’s Institutional business unit is a leading provider of retirement savings plans, employee benefit programs, and insurance solutions for Canadian groups and Institutional Technology is the IS organization supporting Manulife’s Institutional business.
The BSA Manager leads a large team of IT BSAs (Business Systems Analysts) who work on various software delivery projects within our Institutional Technology portfolio. S/he works in close collaboration with our Solution Delivery Leads, providing skilled personnel to meet various project requirements. The BSA Manager is also responsible for aligning and contributing to BSA best practices (tools, templates, processes, etc.) within the broader Manulife organization.
The BSA Manager plays a key role in our multi-geography Institutional Technology team. This person will collaborate regularly with fellow Technology Managers in the same discipline, as well as other disciplines (e.g.: Development, Project Management, QA) as well as with other IS leaders within their area and across Canada.
Institutional Technology and Manulife at large embrace workplace mobility and remote collaboration; therefore, this position may have some remote direct reports and/or collaborate regularly with remote colleagues. Some travel may be required periodically.
Now comes the fun part. Manulife is transforming our teams, in IT and the business units, to agile. We need people that can lead change and help us through this transformation. We want to instill a tech start-up mentality into our teams and are looking for help in doing this. We’re looking for people with the experience and energy to lead this change. We not only want “best practices” but we want “next practices”; you will be part of the team leading innovation and transformation.
While managing a large team of about 20 to 30 IT BSAs, the BSA Manager will be responsible for:
- Helping to transform the delivery organization to agile methods and an agile mindset;
- All aspects of strategic workforce planning, including hiring, retention and succession planning;
- Managing employee engagement, skills, and career development;
- Performance management;
- Supporting & improving best practices that align within the wider Manulife organization;
- Optimizing employee and contractor allocation across a wide variety of projects;
- Partnering with Solution Delivery Leads and the Commercial Office to achieve optimal delivery outcomes;
- Ensuring IT BSA tools and processes support successful software deliveries;
- Ensuring permanent and contingent workforce are following IT and BSA processes consistently;
- Staying abreast of the BSA industry and facilitating innovation;
- Managing expenses and investments to budget;
- Producing, maintaining, and executing annual best practice roadmap / business plan.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a management role with direct reports;
- At least 5 years’ previous experience as a BA/BSA;
- At least 5 years’ experience working in an IS/IT environment;
- Practical experience with agile delivery (Scrum and/or Kanban);
- Familiarity with SDLC;
- Working knowledge of JIRA, Confluence, Yammer and/or SharePoint are assets
- CBAP (Certified Business Analysis Professional) designation or equivalent is an asset;
- Experience in a start-up is an asset;
- Experience in medium-large scale software delivery is an asset;
- Experience in a strong matrix environment is an asset;
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is required;
- Fluency in French (written and spoken) is considered an asset.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2017, we had approximately 34,000 employees, 73,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 26 million customers. As of December 31, 2017, we had over $1.04 trillion (US$829.4 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $26.7 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.