Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
This is your opportunity to leverage yourself; build on your sound business experience; fulfill your desire to learn and your passion to see the business across the company and constantly experience new situations; develop leadership and influencing skills.
This position provides the successful candidate with a great opportunity to be exposed to many different operations, managers and leaders of the Company in an interesting and challenging management services role. This exposure will serve to provide the candidate with experience in identifying critical aspects of a business process in both high level and detail. The position provides an outstanding opportunity to enhance problem solving skills, which are essential to success in any organization. Audit focuses on training to quickly understand business objectives and process, identify key risks and core problems, and assess and recommend cost effective solutions. Knowledge of these key business risks and sound management controls link directly to predicting a business unit's success in building shareholder value. Audit also concentrates on the effective communication of these ideas, both written and verbal. The art of negotiation, facilitation and personal relationship building is an inherent aspect of successful audit management. Good risk management, sound business practices and techniques are essential concepts.
Overall, Audit Services assists Manulife Financial in achieving its vision and objectives, and assists our customers in discharging their responsibilities. This is achieved by providing independent, objective internal audits and risk management consulting services throughout all areas of the Company.
The primary focus of this position is to work on internal audits of the Investment Division of Manulife Financial/John Hancock, based in Boston. The Investment Division is comprised of two investment groups. One manages investment portfolios related to the insurance business, and the other manages third party funds (i.e. mutual funds, institutional client funds), as part of the asset management business. Audits of these businesses cover a wide range of asset classes in both the public and private markets, including equity, fixed income, derivatives, commercial mortgages, timber and agriculture. The investment groups audited include portfolio management & trading (front office), investment operations (back office), middle office functions and compliance.
The senior auditor is accountable for completing assigned audit work of all types and the delivery of high quality, professional, cost-effective, value-added and risk-based audit services. The senior auditor works under the direction of the audit manager and the audit director. The senior auditor will be assigned responsibility to complete specific components of the audit project.
- Performs all types of internal audits with a primary focus on operational and financial controls testing (Sarbanes-Oxley).
- Completes audit assignments in accordance with department methodology and Institute of Internal Audit (IIA) standards
- Manages assignments within time budgets and target dates, reporting any timing problems or budget over-runs to the audit manager
- Communicates/conducts interviews with management regarding the risks being managed by business unit; and assists in developing control objectives, “what could go wrong” statements and audit programs to evaluate these risks
- Documents controls to mitigate risks, writes and executes audit procedures to test the design and operating effectiveness of these controls
- Assists in presenting audit findings and recommendations to business unit management; resolve issues and reach agreement on appropriate solutions to mitigate the risk/impact.
- Assists in preparing audit reports, including executive summary and rating of adequacy of control environments, making practical and value-added recommendations to improve controls and the efficiency & effectiveness of operations; audits reports are to be clear, concise and well-organized, and issued within departmental service standards
- Follows up on open audit issues until resolved, as assigned.
- Provides on the job training and feedback to staff auditors assisting on assignments, and contributing to their development.
- Uses technology to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the audit process, such as Computer Assisted Audit Techniques (CAATS) with ACL and a Spreadsheet Audit Analytics Tool.
- Use technology to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the audit process, such as Computer Assisted Audit Techniques (CAATS) with ACL and a Spreadsheet Audit Analytics Tool.
- Assists business unit management by providing risk management consulting support, education and training.
- Travel requirements range from 0 to 5%. The majority of audit work is in the Boston area.
- University or College degree is required
- A recognized public accounting (CPA), internal auditing (CIA, CFSA), or investment management (CFA) designation is desirable
- 2 to 4 years of internal/external audit or equivalent business experience.
- Experience in auditing Investment related processes is a strong asset
- Demonstrated understanding of business processes and their risk implications, analyze situations, reach appropriate conclusions, and make value-added and practical recommendations
- Demonstrated knowledge of audit methodologies, project management and system development methodologies, control frameworks and risk management practices, and regulatory requirements
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and recommendations orally and in writing, and to listen and consider ideas of others
- Customer focus and commitment to quality
- Results oriented; ability to balance multiple priorities and projects
- Ability to deal effectively with staff and audit management.
- Microsoft Office Skills: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Adobe, ACL, RSA Archer Audit Management software applications
About John Hancock Financial and Manulife
One of the largest life insurers in the United States, John Hancock supports approximately 10.7 million Americans with a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments, 401(k) plans, and college savings plans. We also offer advice through Signator, a network of independent financial advisors. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com.
Agency submissions and contacts are by invitation only and must be initiated by John Hancock's Recruiting Department only. Unsolicited agency submissions will not be honored.
JOHN HANCOCK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - AA/F/M/D/V