Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
John Hancock’s Retirement Plan Services (“RPS”) business unit focuses on the recordkeeping of contracts for 401(K) plans and other retirement plan service offerings. RPS Risk Management’s (a functional area within RPS) mission is to promote and instill a strong risk culture wherein there is a transparent and proactive risk management mindset and decision-making process embedded throughout RPS.
Within the RPS Business Unit (aka 1st LOD), the Senior Risk Manager is primarily responsible for executing core elements of the RPS Risk Management Framework and Management of Audit Engagements on behalf of the Business. He/she is responsible for ensuring that the business understands its risks and has robust standards, controls and practices in place to mitigate these risks which could impact its ability to achieve it’s strategic objectives.
In this role, the individual will report the RPS Director of Risk Management within the RPS Business Intelligence team.
The successful candidate should be extremely familiar with audit methodologies and internal control systems, so that they can partner and support the RPS business in management of audit engagements and risk activities. Additional areas of coverage could include: risk assessments for strategic initiatives, deep-dive analysis of operational risk events, process and control assessments, audit management. The role will work closely with other RPS Business Stakeholders, Risk Management colleagues and key functions including Compliance, Audit, Legal and Finance.
- Execute core elements of the RPS Risk Management Framework
- Consult on projects and business changes that may impact key risks or internal controls in order to ensure that our risk profile is not negatively impacted while balancing the goal of being ‘easy to do business with’;
- Develop and Manage a business unit Audits, both Internal and External audit engagements (includes SOX, SOC 1, regulatory reviews/exams)
- Provide an objective view of the Business and/or function control environment, mitigation strategies and emerging risks.
- Perform/lead risk control assessments utilizing process documentation/analysis techniques and provide business recommendations on opportunities for improvement.
- Maintain awareness of risk and control issues within the business / function whether self-identified or from internal /external audit.
- Review internal and external operational risk incidents/errors for lessons learned and opportunities to implement new preventive and detective controls.
- Understand the area’s Key Risk & Performance Indicators, and other controls to identify negative trends and potential control gaps
- Maintain strong business relationships with internal business and functional support areas and develop and deliver presentations to senior audiences,
- Participate in various Operational Risk and LOB meetings related to operational risk and control matters.
- Minimum, 5-7 years experience in a related role, at a financial services institution (Preferably in the wealth and asset management)
- Bachelor's degree in Business, related field or equivalent work experience
- Excellent knowledge of audit methodologies, project management methodologies, control frameworks, risk management practices, and regulatory requirements
- Ability to quickly understand business processes and their risk implications, analyze complex situations, reach appropriate conclusions, and make value-added and practical recommendations
- Strong business acumen and problem solving ability
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong ability to manage multiple efforts simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively with continuous change and short deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with diverse group of stakeholders
- Proactive leadership
- Superior oral and written communications skills
- Strong relationship skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members, stakeholders, and management
- MS Excel, MS Power Point, MS Word, MS Visio
- MBA, other graduate degree or advanced studies (including industry risk certifications) and/or Recognized accounting (CPA) or auditing (CIA, CISA) designation
- Knowledge of risk management tools/platforms (i.e. Archer)
- Working knowledge of retirement plan services operations
About John Hancock Financial and Manulife
One of the largest life insurers in the United States, John Hancock supports approximately 10.7 million Americans with a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments, 401(k) plans, and college savings plans. We also offer advice through Signator, a network of independent financial advisors. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com.
Agency submissions and contacts are by invitation only and must be initiated by John Hancock's Recruiting Department only. Unsolicited agency submissions will not be honored.
JOHN HANCOCK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - AA/F/M/D/V