Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The Data Engineer is responsible for supporting the enablement of analytics initiatives in Manulife Vietnam through stewardship and management of our data assets in the Data Lake and associated Data Marts. The incumbent must have a passion for how data can be leveraged and used to drive deeper, meaningful insights that enhance the customer experience, grow our businesses, and minimize risk.
- Management of the Data Lake and Data Mart infrastructure (i.e., clusters, nodes, blocks of data storage)
- Day to day operations of the data lake and data marts
- Provide IT support for business unit applications that are ingested into the Data Lake
- Ingestion of data assets into the data lake and associated data marts
Data and metadata management
- Coordinate data initiatives between Local and Regional IT, Local and Regional Analytics and business teams for data lake and data mart matters
- Resolves issues in the business, and escalating to the appropriate parties when necessary
- First point of contact for Data quality and analytics tools issues
- SMEs on Biz dept. data (rules, architecture, etc.)
- Other tasks will be assigned by line manager
Data Strategy and Innovation
- Understand business requirements and work objectives in order to effectively translate into analytics and IT requirements and propose actionable recommendations that would support decision-making
- Innovate and find creative ways to source and leverage data to support modeling efforts, leveraging structured & unstructured data, and big data technologies.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop and implement tools and services such as modeling, dashboard development, decision aids and business case analysis to drive innovation, strategic initiatives and recommend solutions
Governance and Controls
- Responsible for ensuring all data management processes conform to standard operating procedures and aligns with how a modern data architecture aligns to enterprise technology standards and policies; contribute and provide guidance around data quality, metadata management, data stewardship and security, and access controls
- Work with the Data Governance, Data Council and Data Steering Committee to define data-related policies in conjunction with regulatory, legal and compliance requirement.
- Demonstrated 3-7 years professional experience in big data/data management, preferably in insurance, banking or related financial services environment
- University graduate, major in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent program
- Proficient in SQL, NoSQL, relational database design and methods
- Extensive expertise in data technologies and the use of data to support software development, advanced analytics and reporting. Particular focus on Cloud (Azure) and Hadoop-based technologies and programming or scripting languages like Java, Scala, Linux, C++, PHP, Ruby, Python, R and SAS. Also expert knowledge should be present regarding different (NoSQL or RDBMS) databases such as Hawq/HDB, MongoDB, Cassandra or Hbase; Working experience with modern data streaming process with Kafka, Apache Spark, Flink and data ingestion framework NiFi, Hive, Pig, etc.
- Experience with security/data protection solutions, Kerberos, Active Directory, HDFS Access Control, OAuth2, OpenID, LDAP
- Experience with network layer security design in VPN, firewall, Loadbalancer
- Experience with SLDC methods (e.g., agile, iterative, waterfall, etc.)
- Experience in designing business intelligence systems dashboard reporting, and analytical reporting, and related BI tools (e.g., Power BI, Cognos, Tableau) is a plus
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Visio, Outlook)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with ability to multi-task. Ability to work with minimal or no supervision while performing duties; has the ability and initiative to organize various functions necessary to accomplish department activities or goals and be a strong team player.
- Keen interest in digital, emerging and disruptive technology applications
- Able to collaborate with local and regional counterparts
- Experience and capability in translating non-technical user requests into complex technical specifications and solutions that meet these requirements
- Focused, organized, detail-oriented, multi-tasking, innovative and customer-centric
- Proficient problem-solving and communication skills
- Must possess highest levels of integrity, professionalism and work ethics
- Bilingual fluency in both Vietnamese and English.