Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Senior Specialist, Underwriting will underwrite/support the risk assessment of applications and act in a leadership role for underwriters. S/he also needs to maintain a strong working relationship with all kinds of the sales team in order to support them so that we understand each other on practices and procedures.
- Have dual responsibility to underwrite/support the risk assessment of applications and to act in a leadership role for underwriters.
- Be assigned the most complex/high face amount cases and act as the underwriter on those cases, and support other underwriters through second signature.
- Maintains a strong working relationship with all kinds of the sales team in order to support them so that we understand each other on practices and procedures.
- Underwrite the life insurance applications according to company underwriting guidelines
- Handle customer enquiries related to the submitted applications in a professional manner
- Follow through the New Business admin procedure and workflow to ensure meeting committed service turnaround
- Provide ITC (Initial Training Course) training
- Manage underwriting related projects
- Perform all other duties as requested or assigned.
- Degree holder preferably in medical (Medical Doctor) related discipline. Prior experience in life insurance industry, the medical field, underwriting or claims is preferred.
- Excellent, more in-depth knowledge of medical impairments (interplay must be clearly understood), non-medical aspects such as financial, avocational, occupational, geographical/political risks and their impact on mortality/morbidity.
- Excellent knowledge of insurable interest and financial underwriting principles.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Ability to influence and negotiate with both agents and clients.
- Excellent decision making skills, able to rationalize the whole risk and come up with the proper decision based on the merits.
- Comprehensive superior product knowledge.
- A sound knowledge of the various business structures, the company accounts including balance sheet, profit and loss accounts.
- Able to make a basic analysis of financial evidence such as tax returns, company accounts and arrive at a decision.
- Fully understand the types of business insurance needs and the basis to financially underwrite risks.
- Ability and skill to underwrite large amount cases including High Net Worth (HNW) products.
- Ability to analyze business accounts and intelligently apply the information to the assessment of the financial risk.
- Computer literate in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to give professional presentations to groups of agents on various underwriting topics.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. At the end of 2016, we had $977 billion (US$728 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
We are committed to be an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age”.