Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The Real Estate Transformation Office is responsible and accountable for driving our transformational initiatives for real estate including planning and implementation activities. Our objectives are aligned to the Manulife strategic business plan, including the design and implementation of a new real estate operations model and real estate technology platform to support the business.
Reporting to the Director, Real Estate Transformation and interacting with the RE Transformation project team and business partners, the incumbent will contribute property accounting subject matter expertise, contribute to applicable project workstreams, and work with the Real Estate Transformation subject matter experts and the overall project team to support the real estate transformation program.
- Work with the property accounting team to confirm detailed procedural requirements and translate to the transformation team as part of designing and developing procedures and training materials.
- Work with property accounting team to increase understanding, incorporate feedback in a partnership approach, while also building support for new solutions and ensuring a smooth transition to new accounting system with minimal business disruption.
- Prepare reconciliations of current and future system financial data including general ledger, fixed assets, job cost, and balance sheet working papers.
- Setup and confirm system based calculations including reconciliation and testing for automated straight-line rent and CAM/TAX recoveries setup in the system.
- Responsible for property accounting on a set of commercial real estate accounting that could include office, industrial, and retail properties located within our global portfolio to prepare and support month-end, quarter-end, and year-end property accounting including financial statements according to accounting standards and conducts comprehensive business-focused variance analysis and commentaries regarding variances.
- Maintain and update monthly and annual general ledger account reconciliation working papers and follow-up to ensure items are cleared according to guidelines, procedures, policies, and deadlines.
- Responsible for property accounting journal entries and generating system based accounting calculations.
- Contribute to the preparation of property budgets and forecasts.
- Support Property Management for any financial accounting questions, financial detail questions, or information as required.
- Assist with auditor requirements, including the company’s audit firm and all partner/co-owner audit firms, as well as government audits when required;
- Ensure accounting processes are executed efficiently and effectively across the portfolio, and technology and system generated reports are fully utilized
- CPA designation, actively pursuing CPA, or equivalent experience combined with university degree or post-secondary education preferably in finance, real estate accounting, or real estate management.
- 2+ years of progressive commercial property accounting experience, knowledge of office properties is considered an asset.
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising accuracy, excellent product quality and attention to detail.
- Strong spreadsheet skills (Excel), Yardi experience is preferred.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess strong organizational, analytical, time management and project management skills with a demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Strong relationship-building ability, proactive, results-oriented, and resourceful.
- Ability to deliver excellent customer service at all levels of the organization and with external partners.