Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Manulife has operated in Asia since 1897 and operates in 12 markets across the region, spanning both developed and emerging markets.
As a key member of the Asia Strategy team, the Manager will work with country business units and Asia regional office to provide support and content around the strategic planning framework and process and engage the Asia Division Executive Committee (ADEC), Global Corporate Development and the Executive Committees in effective strategic decision-making. Asia Strategy team is also responsible for assessing and executing inorganic strategies – M&A, Bank Partnerships, Strategic Investment and New Market Entry.
This role is an opportunity for an ambitious and hard-working individual to work with the Manulife Asia Strategy team to get first-hand experience in M&A and strategic projects. This is a role suited for individuals who look for exciting challenges, can excel under pressure and are eager to learn.
Industry and Competitor Analysis
- Work with Asia Strategy team and local BUs to compile a quarterly report that tracks industry and competitor intelligence.
- Manage the daily Corporate Development and Industry News update.
Strategic Planning & Strategy Deliverables
- Support the implementation of the Asia Strategic Planning process across Asia business units, and offer guidance and assistance to develop the business unit level strategies.
- Support the development of divisional strategic deliverables (e.g. annual strategic plan, strategy presentations, divisional memos etc.) for the Asia Division Executive Committee, Global Leadership Teams and the Board of Directors.
- Support ad-hoc special projects to support the growth of the Asia businesses
- Develop and manage project deliverables timelines. Take into account time for peer reviews before deliverables are presented to various stakeholders
- Coordinate meetings and manage communication among project members (members of Asia Strategy, Regional Office and local BUs) to ensure deliverables are completed in a timely manner and that we operate as one cohesive project team.
- Act as an internal reviewer to ensure deliverables are of highest standards and take action as necessary.
Deal/Project Research, Due Diligence and Bid Preparation
- Work with senior members of Asia Strategy team to conduct research and analysis to prepare proposals and internal approval decks.
- Execution of the due diligence process during M&A projects.
- Work with senior members of Asia Strategy team to prepare necessary deliverables for proposals and post-acquisition integration.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years’ relevant experience in financial services (life insurance industry preferred).
- Previous strategy, corporate development or M&A experience working for a multinational company, accounting firm, investment bank, private equity or strategy consulting firm.
- Native English speaker and fluency in an additional Asian language is an advantage.
- Initiative, drive and sense of urgency: has the initiative and drive to take ownership of tasks. Not be afraid to ask questions when in doubt and a sense of urgency to drive things to completion quickly.
- Change management/ambiguity: ability to work in a fast paced environment with incomplete information, but continue to push projects through based on known information, common sense and asking the right questions.
- Detail oriented: important to pay extra attention to detail to ensure the highest quality of work is submitted to senior management for their review.
- Perseverance, team player and hard work ethic: seeing things to completion despite obstacles is a key requirement.
- Research, analysis and problem solving: strong problem solving abilities by identifying issues, taking a logical approach to finding an answer based on research and sound analysis.
- Strong PowerPoint skills: ability to maneuver complex information and distil into key meaningful insights and high impact slides to tell a story
- Strong financial modeling skills/data analysis: ability to build complex financial models and translate financial information and actuarial/accounting data into useful and applicable information.
- Project management: ability to drive projects to execution by developing deliverables timelines and effectively managing stakeholders.
- Stakeholder management: effectively manage more senior members of the Asia Strategy team/local BUs and other functions (such as Controllers, Tax, Actuarial, Legal, IT and Wealth Management) to provide the deliverables needed to drive projects to completion.
- Communication: excellent speaking and writing skills are required to convey key messages in a succinct manner.
- PowerPoint, Word and Excel: expert skills on PowerPoint with the ability to tell a story and sell a message. Can analyze large quantities of data, generate charts in Excel. Should have the ability to translate what the data is saying into applicable and useful information.
- Flexibility and cultural awareness: willingness and flexibility to travel. Culturally sensitive to work with people of diverse backgrounds in Asia.
- Candidates with less experience will be considered for Assistant Manager position
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. At the end of 2016, we had $977 billion (US$728 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.