- Provide second line of defense oversight by probing, challenging and assessing risk by applying risk expertise, strong relationship management and critical thinking skills.
- Function in an advisory capacity to provide support to Bank leadership and staff to improve risk assessment skills, raise enterprise risk awareness and promote a healthy risk culture.
- Manage the Bank enterprise risk management programs, providing second line of defense oversight and challenge in the identification, assessment and mitigation of significant risks. Collaborate with peers from Canadian Division, Internal Audit, Compliance and Information Security as required to share risk information and ensure appropriate risk mitigation.
- Lead and support a variety of risk management activities on an as-needed basis for the Bank Risk Team including: risk assessments, evolving risk identification and risk consulting.
- Document Guidelines to ensure bank-wide adherence to the enterprise risk management tools and processes;
- Make recommendations for control and process improvements.
- Develop and implement a risk-based approach for post-implementation review of controls.
- Take actions to foster a strong risk-awareness culture, including preparation and presentation of employee education programs.
- Escalate risk concerns as required.
- Ensure alignment with Manulife Financial group policies and best practices.
- 3+ years of related Banking experience with strong knowledge of banking processes, risks and controls or exposure to Bank operational functions;
- Strong knowledge of risk management tools, techniques, and methodologies;
- Team player who is adept at working in a matrix environment;
- Self-starter with ability to work independently;
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Experience in a risk management functional role is an asset;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively manage key relationships with senior management;
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills: ability to convey complex situations and relationships in a clear and concise manner and communicate effectively with all levels of staff and management;
- Confidence and ability to interact with and present to senior management;
- Innovative and with high level of initiative;
- Professional attitude and adherence to a high ethical standard; and
- High proficiency in MS Office Products - Excel, Word and Visio.